Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Small Study on Prayer - Part One

2 comments
 
"As for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the LORD by failing to pray for you." 
~1 Samuel 12:23

In this passage of Scripture, Israel had asked for a king. God was suppose to be their King. However, they wanted an earthly king like everyone around them had. God decided to give them what they wanted. Samuel was the leader of the people at the time and their prophet. He is the one who says the verse above.

The point is, we are to pray for one another. God made us one body of believers that He loves. If any part of the body suffers it all suffers. In my post yesterday, I talked about people gossiping about me. I was angry and hurt and I said in my heart, fine I will simply not pray for them anymore.

This is sin. Just because someone is not acting the way you desire is not a reason to stop praying. Really they need the prayer even more because God is the only one who can move and change hearts. Samuel knew this simple truth. He knew to stop praying would be sin.

Have you ever fallen into the sin of prayerlessness? How did it happen? How did God bring you out of it? Do you need prayer for anything now? Please share, would love to hear your stories.

2 comments:

Vilisi said...

Gossip is nasty and oppresses its victims. Words have the power of life and death. I often pray against negative words spoken against me and my family and in Jesus' name I command them to fall dead to the ground and bear no fruit. (like the fig tree that Jesus cursed)
I've often have to repent from prayerlessness. Busyness and fatigue are the two main causes of prayerlessness in my life.I also find it hard to pray when there are people about and there is little privacy (I don't want people listening to me) so I often type my prayers instead of verbalising them. God still responds.

As we all know, unforgiveness hinders prayer. I find it difficult to pray like Samuel when I am hurt and angry. The only prayer I might want to pray is to ask the Lord to strike certain people with lightning! Not with the lovely aurora borealis, just a flash of plain old storm lightning will do. Ok, jesting aside .... I always remind myself that forgiveness is a supernatural act and I am a natural human being who must do this supernatural act by faith and also in obedience to God's word. So I speak it, I confess I forgive so and so and i trust God to reconcile my act of faith and obedience with my feelings later on. I do my part and He is faithful to do His. I hope this is useful. God bless you Angela. :)

God's girl said...

Such wisdom friend! Thanks for these words!! You are a blessing.

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff