Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Sin of Prayerlessness - Stronghold Exposed

5 comments
 
God has brought me through so much. I am so thankful for it all. However, it took a wonderful mentor of mine to pinpoint some very important words that would be used by God to make a huge breakthrough in my life. Dee Brestin is doing a wonderful Bible study on her blog. The post was called, What Turns our Hearts to Stone. 

This is what was said,

What Satan wants to do is cause “attachment disorder” between you and your heavenly Father.
“Attachment disorder” occurs when the person who should have protected you hurts you.

You see, I used to have an amazing amount of faith in prayer. I would pray for things that others would probably play it safe on. I experienced the joy of seeing prayer after prayer answered the way I prayed. It was amazing. I felt super confident in God and in my prayers. I do think we are all to pray but I think that prayer is a spiritual gift as well. It is a helps gift and is very important. 2 Corinthians 1:11a states, "You also must help us by prayer." I think because of that it just comes easier to some. This was what was happening with me.  And it had nothing to do with me only the grace given by God.

Like the gift of teaching, it will be a joy and come easy for the teacher. Serving, will happen with joy and come easy for the one with the gift of service. Prayer as a spiritual gift will come easily and with great joy. A spiritual gift is a grace given to you by the Holy Spirit. Generally it is a great joy to operate in your gifts. It is something that just comes naturally though it can be improved with practice over time as we grow.


With that said, all are called to pray, all are called to preach the gospel to the world, and all are called to serve one another. God uses the body with each individual using their God given grace gifts to help it grow and mature. This is to edify the body of Christ nothing else. It is not something you use for personal gain that you withhold from others. A spiritual gift is to be shared and used to serve others. When we each operate in our gifts we strengthen the body of Christ and keep it healthy. When we don't use our gifts we are not keeping the body healthy. Each one plays an important part. This must be taken seriously. 


We cannot simply state that our part is not needed. We must know that when we fail to operate in our gifting it effects the entire body. It is also operating in disobedience. Often I am tempted to feel that this helps gift of intercession is insignificant. I cannot measure it for results like one would who might be gifted in hospitality and sees immediate joy because they opened their home to someone.

However over time my heart started to shift. I liked being known as the one you wanted praying for you. I started seeing God as the gift giver instead of God alone. I was going after God because of what He did not just because of who He was. This was a painful truth to be confronted with. And it happened when I prayed one of those put your self out there kind of prayers.

When God didn't answer this particular prayer it devastated me. To make matters worse people started gossiping about it. I felt like I stepped out there for God and He let me fall. So because of this satan planted some lies I believed and embraced in my head then in my heart. I formed attachment disorder with God. I thought I could not trust Him. This is where the problem took place.

God has worked so much in my life since then but I still find myself being "safe" because I cannot bear to just let go and trust God fully. He is showing me that I can and this is where healing is taking place. This also is where this need for approval I spoke of earlier took root. 


I am so thankful that He shows us things in our hearts and desires us to be fully His. Our hearts are deceitful and we often do not even know what is in them but God knows. He always knows and He loves us enough to not allow it to stay in our hearts to rot. He will show us as we seek Him and help us work it out. The pain we feel He feels alongside us. He is safe though not controlled by us. He can be trusted fully but His ways are not our ways. We just have to trust who He is and that He knows best.


This has been a very vulnerable post in my struggle with prayer over these past few years. I still pray but it is nothing like it was in the past. I am coming back to that. In obedience I am listening now. I want to stay here. He delights in our prayers. The next couple posts will be a Bible study about prayer. Hope you will enjoy them and grow yourself in prayer.

5 comments:

Darla said...

you just explained to me what my struggle/present pit is...definitely going through an "attachment disorder" with God. My prayer life is not at all what it used to be, and everything else suffers because of it.

Thanks for being vulnerable in this post. It may have been for me. love ya

Mining for Diamonds said...

I hung on to every word of this post. I think there comes a time in all of us during our faith journey when we form that "attachment disorder" with God, related to major disappointment. I am dealing with this myself in certain ways, and while I wouldn't wish it on anyone, there is a certain comfort in knowing that I am not alone in my struggle, and not the only one who deals with these kinds of faith issues. I thank you for your vulnerability. For me, I think my "AD" has manifested in a loss of joy in life...I used to be so full of life and hope and expectations for All That God Planned For Me, and then Life happened. It threw me for a loop! I'm still recovering and trusting the Lord to restore to me the oil of joy and gladness, and heal the brokenness in our relationship. I can't wait to check out your link! Thank you again for sharing your heart. Blessings!

Unknown said...

Angela, this post makes me think about what I shared on our "road trip" so many years ago...about being scared of what God would allow me to experience despite about what I prayed/didn't pray and not trusting in Him. I can so empathize with this post because I still today struggle with this. I say I have faith and I pray, but I'm not allowing God full control and releasing myself from worrying about whatever is going on in my life at the moment. I've been convicted of this recently (actually, this morning!) and reading this post gives me encouragement and further emphasizes God is trying to reach out to all of us and remind us what He is about and what He can do! You do have a wonderful gift...I learn so much from your sharing and your honesty!

Love you girl, Laura B.

child of God said...

Hi Angela,
Thanks for your honesty.I think everyone struggles with this except children. Have you heard a child pray? It can be very simple, straight forward and sometimes can rock you a bit in the directness they approach God. I love to listen to children pray and so does God. God wants us to become like children. Their faith is over astounding and ground shaking. Why? I believe it is because they don't have pride. They are not afraid of failing or making a fool of themselves. They really don't care what people think but only look for approval from their parents or mentors. If they are encouraged then they grow but if they are discoraged then they are stunted.
I think many of us, me too, have been stunted by people around us by not receiving the right encouragement at crucial points in our lives. A healthy, Spirit filled, group of believes should be encouraging when someone follows the leading of God.

I encourage you to not be embarrassed but to walk forward in the leading of the Holy Spirit. I wrote a post just this morning you might be interested in reading it. It is called How does your garden grow.

God Bless you Angela!!
<><

God's girl said...

Thank you all for your beautiful comments. It is nice to know you are not alone! :) Praying for each of you.

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff