Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Thoughts on Friendships

11 comments
 

Alright blog friends I MUST tell you about a theme in my life that God is speaking. It is so interesting to me. God is really speaking to me about evaluating my friendships. Does that sound crazy or what? Well, even if it sounds crazy it is what God is asking me to do. There are different friends for different seasons and reasons. As women I think it is hard for us to let go because of the emotional attachments we hold to. However it is necessary in order to have healthy relationships. We need to pray these through. We need to have "God-friends." The ones He puts into our lives. This theme has been going on for months now and has been part of the "God healing my hurts" process. Of course some things can only be between me and God so the specifics of it all I cannot disclose but the theme went like this:

12 week Bible study, "Friendships of Women."
6 week Bible study, "A Trusted Friend."
During this whole time (and much earlier yet I denied it) I have been dealing with relationship strife in certain areas. God finally opened my eyes to some really interesting things therefore calling me to evaluate my friendships. There are some new places He needs to move me and there are just the right God-appointed people He has in store to go there with me. Some cannot go there with me and that is okay.
So then, Beth Moore talks about it a few times through her "Stepping Up" videos.
I hear Dr. James Merritt Sunday Morning talking about it and even referring to Judas as a friend of Jesus. Referring to the fact that none of the disciples even knew that the betrayer was Judas. That truth was illuminating, especially when figuring out how to treat those kind of people in our lives. Really praying this through the past few days, now I am fed with the wisdom from my pastor's blog who I wrote about earlier here. Confirming another reason why it is so important to pray for them. They are God's vessels and God uses them to speak things or confirm things like this to us. His blog is worth the read on friendship here.

Anyway, God is speaking a CLEAR theme and it is nothing but a great joy to me. I can only shout "Glory."
So for those of you who made it through this post, may God bless you-It is something that I personally do not want to forget so it was really written more as a Ebenezer stone for me! Not sure if it will mean so much for anyone else but if you get something out of it too then it is a double GLORY! :)
And you know what, God has given me some unexpected blessings and friendships through you all in blogville too. We may never meet in person but we are getting to really know each other and cheer one another on on this journey. I hurt when you hurt and rejoice when you rejoice. Isn't that what friendship is anyway?

11 comments:

B. said...

Isn't it great when God whispers words to you, confirmed by bible studies, bible teachers and pastors? I love getting those constant themes in my life because you know God is talkikng to you about a subject. Thanks for sharing!

Tammy said...

Ahhh, it was interesting reading your thoughts about friendship since it's been on my mind, too, lately. More specifically about a rather difficult friendship which I had backed off of because it wasn't healthy for me, yet this person keeps popping up in my life. I just can't quite figure out what God is teaching me through this, but perhaps I need to be more assertive which is hard for me to do. Anyway, a prayer covering is essential when tackling friendship issues......

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

LAUREN at Faith Fuel said...

Angela-
This is where I have been for half a year now, on this topic of friendship. I'm teaching a workshop on it, next week, at my church, and then I'm speaking at a women's retreat up north and what's the topic there?-Friendship. That's what they wanted me to speak on.

You're right about the "God friend"- the ones God chooses to be in our life and walk with us,onward and upward. There have also been the "My friends" in my life- the ones I picked out of natural wisdom. (Those didn't go so well!)

If I get to the Prov.31 Conference, I hope to give you a big hug and have a long chat over coffee, if possible. And if I don't get there, let's just keep on pressing onward, together, for His purpose in our life. We both want to make Him known. That burns within us. I feel such a kindred spirit with you, already- and we've never even met face to face!

Cheri said...

Angela,
That was such a great post. I agree with you about different friends being with you for different seasons and some lifelong. I have experienced this in my life and God has truly blessed me with getting to know 3 very special friends from church who are such blessings to me.
I never expected to get to know such special people through blogging either- another blessing from God!

ocean mommy said...

That is so cool how God is showing you this. I thought Pastor Ken's post was very interesting. Looking forward to seeing how he expands on it...

And, I get the whole healthy/unhealthy relationship thing. There is such a fine line in there when it comes to friendship. While we don't want to turn away or shun someone, we HAVE be guarded at who we open our heart up to. I'm dealing with this very thing right now big time.

Would love to talk to you about it more...... :)

love you
steph.

mariel said...

Amen! Bloggy ville is a sweet place of friendships. Praise the Lord for using the internet for His glory!

I have 'heard' a similar theme with God on friendships, too! I tell ya, there is nothing like a Jonathan in this David's life! I definately think we need to be choosy with our closest friends..those who are there to sharpen us and point us to jesus. I love the women who make me love Jesus more!!

But sometimes sand paper people are needed to sharpen edges that the Lord is trying to soften in us!

I, too, loved Stepping Up's videos 5 and 6 on friendships! Much needed truths!

Thankyou for sharing this, dear one!
Blessings, Mariel

Susan Skitt said...

Good to see how God's working in your life. God definately uses friendships to spur us on in the Lord, whether in person or online. I for one have been blessed beyond measure getting to know you :)

Leah Adams said...

Many years ago, God led me to clean my "friendship house". I had a dear friend who had slipped into New Age thinking in the late 80's. Admittedly, I was not walking closely with the Lord, but I my previous relationship withthe Lord provided me all the warning flag I needed to know that she was wayyy off base. I have not seen her in years and I still miss the friendship, but I knew that standing up for the Lord was the right thing to do for me.

Have a great day. Great post.

Leah

Beams of Light Ministries said...

It's funny how God purges us of some relationships just so that He can truly bless us with other ones. We cannot always know the ways of God, but we do have to trust Him. He always knows what is best for us. God bless your obedience!

Sanya

Faith said...

Thanks for sharing this. Those can be some tough lessons--I know what you mean about how hard it can be to let go of emotional ties--but so important to follow God's wisdom and leading when it comes to our friendships!

Kim S in SC said...

Hey Angela: What great blessings are our friends. I laughed when I read this because I had just posted yesterday on friendship. He seems to be speaking about friendship to many of us. Thank you so much for this post. Friends through HIM,
Kim

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff