Sunday, February 17, 2008

Life As A Modern Day Job

3 comments
 
I am not going to pretend that my suffering in this world is any worse than the next guys. I realize there is so much trouble and turmoil in this world. When we have college students letting loose with guns on college campus killing sprees and random gunmen shooting in area malls what is this world coming too? Even in high school and elementary schools violence persists. What is going on in this world? I have my theories. One of which time is coming short. The enemy only has a limited amount of time left to wreck up some havok on this earth before he is completely defeated. He would love to do whatever he can to distract God's children from keeping focused on God. He wants us to doubt God or that God is even in control. And don't we sometimes? I know I do. Then I have to remember that God is always the God He says He is in Scripture. He is always true to His character. Always. Period. We must keep our eyes on Jesus at all times or we will just sink.

All this turmoil has inspired me to right weekly on this subject matter of suffering. I would greatly love to hear your input on it. I would love to hear your stories. Stories especially of God's faithfulness through it. I have a physical thorn that I have had for as long as I can remember. God allows it to keep me humble and truly rely on His strength. I do not talk about it much because I do not want to bring much attention to it except that God's grace is sufficient for me to carry on like Paul stated about his thorn that God would not take away.

Whatever our suffering there is always a greater purpose. It is to make us more into the image of Christ. God loves us too much to leave us the same. This life is a process of transformation. I so want to reflect Christ in everything and everyway. With that request may come much pain. So, I started to study the book of Job and look at how God used His suffering to bring about what He wanted to accomplish.

Since this is getting long I will end this here but will post more later. I will be looking at the first few chapters of Job. I hope you will join me. The first chapter of this series you can find here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

To me, it seems like the word "suffering" implies so much more than I have ever endured. In 3rd world countries, people suffer. They starve or have disease or experience genocide. That is suffering! What is my suffering? Currently, we are having a hard time paying our bills because we were foolish when we had plenty. I "suffer" when I feel that my husband has treated me unfairly. Was I really "suffering" on Friday when I had a splitting headache all day and had to deal with my kids for 12 hours until my husband got home to take over???

I doubt it. But that doesn't mean God doesn't care about my little problems. And know that I am very gracious when I say I have not experienced suffering to the degree of others around me.

Kim S in SC said...

Angela: BEautifully said. I read your chapter on Job. As we walk through seasons or even a life of suffering, it is good to know that we do not walk it alone. I am thankful for the many examples God has given us of how to get through difficult times, loss, suffering. Although, I can't say that suffering is something I enjoy, I know that it too can be a part of how I am refined for HIM. Thanks for this post@

Susan Skitt said...

What a wonderful book to study. I had just completed a two year adult Sunday School Bible study taught by a wonderful teacher (my dad) right before my first husband went home to be with Jesus. That message was drilled into my heart and mind and all I could say when it happened was, "The Lord gave the Lord has taken away, Blessed be the name of the Lord."

Each of us will face daily trials, like you said. Some come in the form of tragedies, others are small or even ongoing tests of our obedience and faith. Often I've thought to myself, "Lord, why are you allowing me to go through this?" But then He brings me right back to who He is, my Provider, my help, my strength, and that is where I rest knowing He will make a way, if not out, then through the trials.

More on your lovely bio in an email my friend. I've all ready written enough for a post here :)

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff