Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A Heart Change

7 comments
 
God has been working on this unconditional love thing with me for a long while now. I can see layers come off of my calloused heart little by little. I am thankful to Him for that. The process of healing and becoming more like Him can be painful at times but it is worth every bit of it.

God used Malta to mold me more into His image. It is funny that going across the ocean is what was needed. It really wasn't but God appointed this time for me. I always knew I would be prayer walking nations. That is just one thing that God has called me to. It is a privilege to be able to do this work. I love it so much and to me there is no better thing. But God had even more in store.

When I was looking at the idolatry and the severeness of it, I grieved at first. But unexpectedly and all of a sudden like it always appears came a flood of anger. Now, righteous anger is okay for this stuff does grieve the Holy Spirit that lives within me. But how we handle that emotion is key. I started to get angry with the people who were engaging in this behavior as I typically do. As we were walking along and I was talking to God about it all of a sudden my pastor turns and says, " For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms" (Ephesians 6:12). (My pastor started a series on prayer when we returned and it is really good-you can get the podcast here.)

We were not talking when he said this. He had no idea what I was thinking and feeling. He doesn't know me well enough to know this continual struggle I have. Those words penetrated my heart in a very new way. Not only was God trying to get my attention but He had those words spoken aloud to me through my pastor. I confessed and started seeing those people through God's eyes.

Next I then started beating myself up like I always resort to it seems. God does not want that either. I know this was all more intense because prayer is a big deal and the enemy does not want us praying. I think that is one reason why there are so many distractions when it comes to prayer. Just my thoughts here.

Another day while we were on the island of Gozo where we knew this idolatry was practiced even more strongly, I met this man named Peter with a place called the Jesus center. He was so humble and again God sent him to speak right into my very heart. Though there were several of us with him he starts telling a story to us about how he used to get angry with these people and then what God showed him. Man, get the pattern. God was removing that layer.

I was also reading the book, "Beach Dreams" that I reviewed below. This book also was speaking to me in these issues of love. God will not let up will He? I would have it no other way. It is time for me to shed this layer. In doing that I had to come face to face with the pain I have been dealing with over relationships that have betrayed me. Hard stuff but I feel much lighter. God is good to never let us stay the same. He is good. I praise Him for another measure of freedom to love better. Perhaps others will see more of Him now instead of so much of me. Oh Lord please let this be.

7 comments:

Amy Carroll said...

Angela,
It was wonderful to read your post about prayer walking. God used prayer walking in Calcutta to move in my heart. My problem was that I didn't feel like I was "doing anything". The first few hours I kept thinking, "Why did I pay over a thousand dollars to come here to pray? I could have prayed for Calcutta at home." Nasty attitude, huh? God "made me" prayer walk for over 2 days until I really understood that this quote I had heard is true: "Prayer isn't preparation for the work, it is THE WORK." Huge shift in my heart! Thanks for sharing your story.

Hugs to you!
Amy

Susannah said...

This is a wonderful post. Thanks for your honesty and transparency! You're such a faithful prayer warrior, and YES, our fight is NOT against flesh and blood. Bless you. :~D

Diana Simpson said...

thanks girl! I love hearing what you learn and how the Lord teaches you!

Dorothy Champagne said...

What if the pain was not caused to you, but your children? I know the same thing works - constant prayer - which I've been doing, but it truly has been trying. I appreciated your post on this topic - and you're right about God using someone to speak to you who knows nothing about what you're thinking..... :)

ocean mommy said...

Oh Angela, I love your heart for our Savior! It's so good to see you getting back on here and sharing what God is showing you!

Love you girl....
steph.

Susan Skitt said...

The amazing love of our Savior reaches into the deep places of our heart, Praise Him for His work.

I got chills reading this Ang, yes, God is working and He has come to seek and to save that which was lost... oh how people need Him and the truth of His Word!

Thanks for sharing this. Many blessings to you and your dear family.

Kate said...

Angela,

I know this has been an ongoing struggle for you. How wonderful that God will not leave our trouble spots alone but in due time he transforms us from the inside out. One weakness at a time. So glad to hear about the work that God was doing through you and in you in Malta.

Kate

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff