Friday, January 21, 2011

A Small Study of Prayer - Part Three

2 comments
 
"Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
~1 Thessalonians 5:16-18



"Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful."
~ Colossians 4:2


Ever wonder what God's will is for you? Well simply put in 1 Thessalonians listed above it says, to rejoice (when?) ALWAYS, pray (when?) CONTINUALLY, give thanks (when?) IN ALL CIRCUMSTANCES.

Now that is easier to say than do. It is an act of the will sometimes to be these things. But when we keep our eyes on Jesus and behold Him He will make this possible. We must keep Him forever at the center of our thoughts and hearts. When He is this will be our desire.

It is my thought that anytime we feel a distance between ourselves and God it is because He is not our center. I have found this to be the truth each time in my own life. Sometimes I have to fiercely fight to keep Him the center and other times it comes more naturally. That is just how life works. It is like this for all of us.

These verses sum it up well. Hebrews 12:1-3, " 1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, 2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."

Do you have any examples of taking your eyes off Jesus and How God brought you back to Him?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent article using genuinely helpful suggestions. Thank you for getting it together.

Pamela said...

I believe God brings me back by giving me a disquieted spirit. When I feel that within me I know something besides God is trying to take over my heart. I enjoyed this post.

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff