Friday, June 3, 2011

Some Thoughts on Phineas and Ferb - Dealing with Idols of the Heart

8 comments
 
I really find this kids show comical. Take a secret agent platypus, highly gifted boys who can build anything, then add a wanna be villain and you have a good show. Oh and do not forget the sister who is always trying to "bust" them by showing their great inventions to their mom.

It reminded me of something I have been doing a deep study on lately. Idols of the heart. I love the example of these two boys because even though they are highly intelligent and do amazing things they are never prideful about it. They are not disobedient either. They are never trying to hide their adventures or inventions they just simply disappear everyday because of something the evil Dr. Doof is doing inadvertently.

These boys have been one hit wonders, put together huge events, built amazing restaurants or roller coasters, even a portal to Mars to name a few of their summer adventures. They are amazing. If anyone had a right to be prideful it would be them. However they are not at all. When their amazing inventions disappear they are surrendered to that. They don't know where they go or why but they are ok with it. Yet their sister gets all flustered she cannot bust them.

The reason I love their example is because they are not too attached to their accomplishments. There are no idols of needing approval, recognition, or fame in their hearts. They are using their great giftings to live life and make summer better for others along the way.

Their sister Candace on the other hand has a severe need for approval. So much so that she loses opportunities for enjoyment of life because she is all focused on busting them. She desperately needs approval. Thus making it obvious it is an idol in her heart.

I wonder do you have anything in your life that robs you of the things you should be enjoying? Anything that rears its ugly head in you? Anytime that happens in your heart you may be dealing with an idol. This is how we participate in idol worship. We get so focused on something that it takes all of our time and attention. It gets our worship. We cannot rest until "it" happens.

So I ask you, do you have something in your heart like this? Have you recognized it as an idol of some sort? The first step is recognizing and admitting/confessing it. Then seek to replace that thing with Christ. If you have a desperate need for approval. Don't worry in Christ you are fully approved. Rest in that. It is only in knowing who we are in Him and who we belong to that will truly set us free from these heart idols.

I am glad for the example of Phineas and Ferb. Leave me a comment about your thoughts on this if you have seen the show.

8 comments:

Dawn Kilgore said...

I love Phineas and Ferb for the same reasons you do. These two boys are obedient, kind, and very humble.

Dawn Sweet said...

Hey, good parallel. I do appreciate the fact that this a show I can allow my son to watch and LOVE without being concerned about it themes and what it's teaching him.

The part about the idols and needing approval hit pretty close to home. Still digesting that challenge.

Mystic_Mom said...

We love P & F as a show which is good for our whole family, heck it has become a part of our vocabulary! The messages there are ones which we can support and don't have to spend a lot of time explaining or correcting. Great post!

God's girl said...

We love P&F! Did you see the movie?

God's girl said...

Oh and sweet Dawn. I have been processing this need for approval idol for some time! Hugs friend.

Vanessa Spiteri said...

Aow Angela ..... Maverick really likes this program and I really hate it , do not know why but now I am going to sit with him and explain to Maverick these things what I read !!

Amy said...

Just now reading this. My daughter loves this show. I am so glad she can watch this and I don't have to worry about it. I am very careful about what she watches (epecially on Disney).

God Bless and have a wonderful day.

Unknown said...

én magyar vagyok xD nem értek ezt a szar angol nyelvet

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff