Monday, August 6, 2007

Marriage Monday

9 comments
 

A wife of excellence? Does that exist?

Go over to Lynn's blog too see more about this challenge. Thanks Lynn for hosting this! Lynn inspires me so much.

Excellent as defined by the Webster dictionary means very good of its kind. In the beginning I would tell you I was the excellent wife. In fact perhaps there was a better word for it than excellent. I was the best. I never lost an arguement, I ran the house. I did whatever I wanted and whatever felt right. That made me pretty excellent in my own eyes and the eyes of the world. My husband knew nothing different because we were in the world and of it. That was how a wife was suppose to be right? Excellent....yes that is what I was.

Oh, but then something happened. A long and unending process started to occur. God started to get into my business. He loved me enough to show me my error and He had even better for me. You see even though I had everything, I was not truly happy or satisfied in our marriage. It was not modeled after God's design and that is best. So, slowly and painfully God moved me and held my hand as we started stripping layers of filth off of my life. As I looked back at the excellent wife I began to really feel sorry for her.

Today when I think of excellent it is now in the standard of God's eyes. I will never stand up to what I think excellence is to God but I am redeemed and God sees me through the eyes of Jesus and that makes me excellent to Him. No matter where I am in the process or what I do I am seen covered by the blood of Christ and I am forever thankful for Him. The more I know Him the more I know I am nothing without Him. I just want to please Him and make our marriage what it should be as God's design. As a representation of Christ and the church. Only by the power of the Holy Spirit in me is this possible.

9 comments:

Angela said...

Praise God that he brought you from one place to an even better one!!! May God continue to bless you!

Anonymous said...

Angela,

Fantastic post. I used to be that woman too. I almost cried when I read....He loved me enough to show me my error and He had even better for me..... Oh, this was me too.

This was well written. I giggled and cried and hoped and was inspired. I see Jesus in your life and marriage. Thank you for honoring Him today and for sharing from your heart. Love and hugs, Lynn

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Amen! What a wonderful reminder that we need to look to HIM for excellence, and not allow the world to define us.

Leah Adams said...

I am FAR, FAR from being the excellent wife, but the Lord and I are working hard at it. One thing that has truly transformed my marriage is learning that praying daily for my husband is so important. For many years now, I have prayed for my husband using Stormie Omartian's 'The Power of a Praying Wife' as my guide. WOW!!! God has really worked in our marriage. I often give that book and the accompanying book for husbands as wedding gifts.

Leah
www.thepoint-leah.blogspot.com

Darla said...

I am an excellent wife! NOT!! But I am striving to be a Proverbs 31 wife, and I do pray for my husband daily, I did read that Praying wives book..and it taught me to pray for my own critical attitude so that i would be more understanding and give God a chance to work! In other words, let it alone! Good post! Love ya, Princess!

Detroit said...

I am redeemed! I am so thankful for His redeeming grace! Thanks for your tender heart and sharing so honestly. Praying that we all continue to walk in victory as we strive to be excellent wives before God.

Anonymous said...

I WAS an excellent wife for almost the entire first week of our marriage... Though I can't remember the details I am almost certain that I could have made the Proverbs 31 woman want to roll her eyes! BUT THEN trials came and the stresses of life and he (my husband) didn't do everything I wanted when I wanted... the nerve. Didn't we cover that in our vows? No?! I knew we should have written our own! Thank goodness vows can be renewed... I may make some changes... Hmmm...Or maybe I can take your advice Angela and do things the Lord's way.
Kara

Meg said...

"The more I know Him the more I know I am nothing without Him." That is so true and rang a bell with me as I read it. Striving for God's excellence, Meg

Laura said...

I love that line you wrote "God started to get into my business." Gosh, that's such a good description. And now we can't shake him off. Praise God he's in our business! :)

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff