Sunday, January 22, 2012

Psalm 119 - Week Two

11 comments
 
Beth (Second Letter of the Hebrew Alphabet) Second section of eight!
How is your memorization going? Ours is coming slowly but we are not giving up.

If any verses were good to memorize regarding wisdom these next are my favorite! It starts with a simple question that many need to know. How can you keep your way pure? If we are sinners naturally how can we keep ourselves pure? Well, this answers it. So let's follow this instruction with our lives.

Read verses 9-11.
Q-How can a young man keep his way pure?
A-By guarding it according to your word.
With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments! I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.

So based on these three verses let us ask some simple questions.
1-How does the verse tell us to keep our way pure?
2-How do you guard our way, by what standard?
3-How can we know the standard?
4-How should we seek His word? Wholeheartedly or half heartedly?
5-What does the Psalmist do with God's word?
6-Why does He do this?

This is one reason why I like the Awana program so much because they are teaching kids to store God's word in their heart. Even at the youngest ages. His word will never return void but it goes out to accomplish what is was purposed for (Isaiah 55:11)

12 Blessed are you, O LORD; teach me your statutes! 

This is another beautiful prayer of praise for God and a desire for Him to teach us. He wants us to know Him and His word. This is a prayer that is according to His will. Let's pray it for ourselves and one another.


13 With my lips I declare all the rules of your mouth. 

May this be! What a joy if we could declare all the rules of God.

14 In the way of your testimonies I delight as much as in all riches. 

This is a prayer I often pray as well. I want to delight in God and His word more than anything my heart is drawn too.

15 I will meditate on your precepts and fix my eyes on your ways.

When we really do love something it is what we think about. Meditation on His word is what we should be doing and in turn keeping our eyes fixed on it. It will bring most satisfaction.

16 I will delight in your statutes; I will not forget your word.

Wherever you are now regarding God's word, may they be words we delight in because they are from our God. May we never forget them. They are the path of life.

Be sure to check the comments through out the week and add anything based on what other commenters in the community say. Let us take time to personally encourage one another.

Recaps on comments from last week:
Deborah said she loved the word of God and the power it has to set us free.
I love this from Patti "Verse 4 really stands out for me: "You have commanded your precepts to be kept diligently." In light of this verse I see that holy walking should be so desirable to us, because God demands this. This is so the desire of my heart."
Judy encourages us to memorize these verses! I think this is a great idea too!
Sarah struggled with getting to it because of interruptions, hope you were able to glean something! :)
Liz shares and encouraging testimony from her marriage, go check it out if you missed it. 

I appreciate you all taking the time to really dig into this and share your lives. I pray His word will change us more into His image and that we will be able to memorize it!

How has this section encouraged you?
How has it challenged you?
Praying your week is blessed and you will delight in His word immensely!



11 comments:

Deborah Sewell said...

Seeking God with my whole heart! That is how God is using Psalm 119 in my life and my eating. The Word is my standard to live up to. Thank God for His mercy and grace as I grow. I am looking for ways listed in Psalm 119 to change the way I do things. Such as verse 13, saying I should declare, or say out loud, the new rules I desire in my life. That is the way they will be become a part of me.

Unknown said...

5 Oh, that my ways were steadfast
in obeying your decrees!
6 Then I would not be put to shame
when I consider all your commands.

I stumble on these two verse, in staying steadfast in obedience. So then I am constantly asking God to help me stay focused on Him.

33 Teach me, LORD, the way of your decrees,
that I may follow it to the end.
34 Give me understanding, so that I may keep your law
and obey it with all my heart.

I am so glad that He does not give up on me the way humans do with each other.

When reading this weeks study and in pursuit of trying to stay pure in my thoughts I am reminded of an old childhood hymn that sums it up perfectly.

"Oh Be Careful Little Ears...."

(VS 1) Oh, be careful little ears, what you hear (repeat)
For the Father Up above,
Is looking down in love,
So be careful little ears
what you hear.

(VS 2) Oh, be careful little eyes, what you see, (repeat)
For the Father up above,
is looking down in love,
So be careful little eyes
What you hear.

(VS 3) Oh, be careful little mouth, what you say, (repeat),
For the Father up above,
Is looking down in love,
So be careful little
mouth what you say.

....and so on replacing each verse with other parts of the body; be careful little hands what you do, be careful little feet where you go, be careful little mind what you think, be careful little heart what you love....

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
God's girl said...

Deborah I think seeking Him with our whole heart is key and praying for the mercy of that perspective.

Sarah I love that old hymn. It is so true and helps me with tv, music, media. Anything that can easily seep into my heart. Also reminded of the song its a slow fade...

Good stuff gals!

Those verses on hiding His word in my heart are key to me. I want to so love His word that it just pours out continually. That it is my first thought day and night in trial and in plenty.

Judy Veilleux said...

My memorization efforts are slow, but steady. I have trouble keeping up with a verse a day. However, memory work requires meditating on the verses, and not just quickly reading over them. Meditation is vital in letting us soak in His Word. I love that children's hymn so much. It sure is a great reminder.

Unknown said...

Agreed Judy. You aren't alone. I also struggle with memorization so I post Scriptures throughout my home and truck- the areas I see most often-to know that my brain will quickly go to it and read it. After repeated reads it will surely sink in my memory, and heart where the Scriptures should be.

God's girl said...

Yes my efforts are slow as well. I think it is good to remember it is a marathon not a sprint. Thanks Judy!

Sarah-That is a great idea posting Scripture throughout your home.

We only have 4 verses down of 119 still!! but working through. Also, I love the thought of must storing His word in our hearts. You never know you may not be able to have a Bible someday, like the persecuted church but if it is in there then it is in there. The Spirit will help you recall it.

mimmyto3 said...

Verse 4: I have stored up your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. I am really trying to memorize, but having a hard time. But I do feel like I am storing up a lot of the precepts in these verses, and I at many times recall them just when I need them. I do so want to seek God with my whole heart, but lately I have been struggling with somethings and I have to "preach" the gospel to myself. O Lord, I do pray that you will continue to teach me your statutes. How beautiful are God's words.

God's girl said...

Amen Patti! I love how He reminds us of His word too when we need it most because it was stored there! :)

Anonymous said...

This whole portion of Psalm 119 is so wonderful, but verses 9-12 are really verses I pray to see walked out in my life, my husband's, my friends and fellow sisters in this study and especially my kids. These 4 verses are verses I hope to memorize and pray over my kids for the rest of my life! Sarah thank you so much posting that hymn... it is one of my favorites as well and a wonderful one to sing and pray over children!! I so enjoy being a part of this study with you all!!

God's girl said...

Liz yes such great things to pray!! Love this group!

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff