Sunday, January 15, 2012

Psalm 119 ~ Week One

10 comments
 
I am so excited about our journey together through this Psalm! This Psalm is divided into 22 sections. Each section is preceded by a letter of the Hebrew alphabet and includes 8 verses. Each week we will look at a section. Because of that this will take us 22 weeks. But do not let that scare you. We will really learn to love Scripture with our whole hearts as we study and pray this Psalm for one another.

However let us not lose site of seeing Christ, the Word who came in the flesh. We do not worship the Bible but the author who spoke it. Derek Kidner said this, "This untiring emphasis has led some to accuse the psalmist of worshiping the Word rather than the Lord; but it has been well remarked that every reference here to Scripture, without exception, relates it explicitly to its Author; indeed, every verse from 4 to the end is a prayer for affirmation addressed to Him. This is true piety: a love of God not desiccated by study but refreshed, informed and nourished by it.” Derek Kidner

That is what I hope we get out of studying this, to be refreshed, informed, and nourished by God's word to us. Of course just studying the word and getting fat is not enough. We must take it and let it change us by doing what it says as God works it in our heart. As we do we honor God and are blessed.  

This study can be at your personal level of commitment that you are comfortable with. Some weeks you may have more time then others. Answer the questions you can. Come back in the comment section and interact with others posting. This is a great way to build fellowship and grow together. Another thing to enhance the study is trying to memorize it this Psalm. My girls and I are going to try to memorize this Psalm. Many have in the past and found it a blessing in doing so according to a commentary on Enduring Word Media. We are simply pondering and memorizing one verse a day. Because there are eight verses we will have to double that up once a week.


So let's dig into the Word! I will probably be referencing the ESV translation. If I vary I will note that. 
I will go verse by verse and write up some things about it and ask questions. Answer as you go and study.


Psalm 119:1-8
Alef א (First letter of the Hebrew Alphabet)
"Blessed are those whose way is blameless who walk in the law of the LORD!"


Blessed means Happy or Blessed. When we are truly wanting to be happy this verse tells you the way. Many try many things in order to be happy but walking in His ways are best. They bring you peace and joy.

The word for way here means a path or journey. We are fellow sojourners on this earth, aliens and strangers waiting for our Heavenly homes. Our real home is in Heaven. As we walk our journeys here together His word is instruction on how to walk.

1-Give an example telling of how you have been blessed by following God's way instead of your own?

Being blameless means keeping ourselves from willful sins. Psalm 19:13 says it this way, "Keep your servant also from willful sins; may they not rule over me. Then I will be blameless, innocent of great transgression."

Walking in the way of the Lord (Jehovah) refers to walking in His laws. Following His commands.

2-Give an example that you have been blessed by following God's way instead of your own?

3-Do you have any sins in your life that are ruling your life? You must get rid of them. Habitual sin is a dangerous cycle. Please talk to someone about it. You miss out on this blessedness when you are stuck in intentional sins. This is a place you can share a personal testimony if you wish.

4-In what ways of walking out life God's way is your biggest challenge now? How can we lift you up in prayer?

"Blessed are those who keep his testimonies, who seek him with their whole heart,"

This verse is referring to the counsel of the word. Back in the day it was the first five books of the Bible. But now we have the entire book. You are also blessed if you keep God's laws written in His word. This is not a legalistic thing, it is truly joyful when you obey the law of the Lord with all your heart. When you do this you are just drawn to Him, you obey because of your love for Him and are secure in His great love for you. Our hearts cannot be divided here. God deserves our all.

5-What is one way you can give your whole heart to God? Maybe it could be in an area you have been holding back?

"who also do no wrong, but walk in his ways!"

When you really love God you want to please Him. It is not following man made rules but His holy laws. Though we come with faults and quirks we will seek to please the Lord and not sin intentionally. Of course we do fail in many ways and along the way it is good to remember the cross. Jesus took all our sin, past, present and future. We are clean in Him. So when we do mess up there is grace when we come to Him. However, we are greatly blessed when we say no to sin and walk in His ways.

If we were capable of following the whole law without stumbling a bit we would be without sin, however because we are flesh and do stumble we must be thankful for Jesus. He released our chains of sin that gripped us and has given us a way to say no to sin.  

"You have commanded your precepts to be kept diligently."

God desires that we keep His commands and diligently. If we have made a new year diet plan or workout regimen then we are diligent to keep it. We must sacrifice and do things that are not always convenient. This is the same with keeping God's law we must do it diligently and at times it will not be easy or comfortable but we must determine to do it.


6-Give an example of a time you  or someone else you know followed God's commands even though it was not easy.


"Oh that my ways may be steadfast in keeping your statutes!"

I love this verse because it is telling us to be firm or fixed in keeping God's law. It is a prayer that we all should pray. That our hearts desire to keep His statues.


7-This would be a good prayer to pray for yourself. Have you ever considered this?

"Then I shall not be put to shame, having my eyes fixed on all your commandments."

When we obey Him and His commands we cannot be filled with shame. That is freedom. Yet it can only be fully obtained through Christ who is the only one who was without sin. When we receive Him we exchange our lack of righteousness for His. That is the amazing thing about the cross!

8-Have you received Him and what He has done?

"I will praise you with an upright heart,when I learn your righteous rules."

When we truly learn to follow God's law we learn to love it and praise Him for it and the great protection it provides!

"I will keep your statutes; do not utterly forsake me!"

God promises us that He will never leave or forsake us (Hebrews 13:5) though there are times it may feel this way. He is faithful! We should make it every aim of our own to be faithful in return! He who works in our hearts is faithful! Trust in Him.

9-Did any verse in particular stand out to you in these 8 verses? If so share it. The Spirit will quicken us differently as we read His alive and active word. It will speak to us personally and be an avenue that works change in us.

Lord, may our ways be steadfast in keeping your law, may we learn to love it and thrive in it.


 

10 comments:

Deborah Sewell said...

I love the Word of God! I have never regretted learning or obeying Scripture. Walking in my own ways has brought much pain and regret. The Lord set me free from so much including lying, fear, lust, gluttony, and slothfulness, and a poor self-image just to name a few. Every freedom came from learning and applying the truth of God's precious Word.

I love Psalm 119. It is my favorite Psalm. I am now studying Psalm 119 as a guide for eating in freedom. Seeing eating in a totally different light, pun intended!

I see in Psalm 119:1-7 the goals for me. I must learn God's rules and guidelines for free eating. I must walk in them and establish them as habit.

I love that this is not about how much I weigh or how I look but how free to obey God I am!

God's girl said...

I love this Deborah. The truth indeed will set us free from all things holding us back! We must learn it, cherish it in our hearts and walk in obedience. Obedience must be our response and that is where true blessedness comes.

In your specific journey weight loss and health will be a positive side effect! When the focus is Christ all other things seem to fall into place. Amen!?

Praying for you in this!!

Oh for us we are learning to die to self, love as Christ loved. We need to seek His word for direction in this! This little guy will rock our world. God will use him as an instrument to drive us to this kind of love! :) Love how God works strong in our lives this way. I see it all over your life too. Love you friend! Thanks for joining us!!

LisaShaw said...

I enjoyed reading this Angela and just posted it on my FB. I love the questions you asked as well...thought provoking!

Wanted to pop in and support you as you pray and write...and share God's Word. May people be drawn even closer to Him as a result.

Love you friend!

God's girl said...

Thanks sweet friend! You are such a blessing to me! <3

mimmyto3 said...

Angela,
I am thankful that I have chosen to do this study, I truly love this Psalm. Thanks for all your study and time you put into your studies.

Verse 4 really stands out for me: "You have commanded your precepts to be kept diligently." In light of this verse I see that holy walking should be so desirable to us, because God demands this. This is so the desire of my heart.

Yet, I have to say there is one area right now that I am asking for prayer. That is that I will continually think of others more significant than myself.

Judy Veilleux said...

I just wanted to encourage everyone to work on memorizing these verses. Nothing has blessed me more than Scripture memory. It will bring your understanding of the verses to a new level. Thanks Angela for all you do in preparing for this study. This is just what I needed right now, and I love the psalms!

Unknown said...

I've started reading this like 3 times since earlier today and I keep getting interrupted. If one more person or animal needs a thing from me I am going to screeeeeeam!! Now what was that verse about walking in His ways.....


LOL!! Lord willing I will have time tonight when the house is quiet to focus on this. :D

God's girl said...

Mimmy to 3, praying this for you too!

Judy, yes I hope everyone tries to memorize too!

God's not finished with us yet, Praying you get uninterrupted time! :)

Hugs to you all! Happy to be doing this together. The girls and I have only two verses down so far but we are working toward memory!! :)

Anonymous said...

I am so excited about this study and memorizing such a rich passage of scripture.

I recently have seen our marriage be blessed by God through submitting my desire to control/mold my husband to God. Letting God work on me where I need it and humbling myself rather than pointing to my husbands flaw and saying he the problem. Our home has recently been renewed with a wonderful peace and joy that is only his doing.

The ongoing battle of the Lord breaking me has been happening for sometime and my pride in doing things my way has been unrelenting until recently. God has been using his word and our marriage to break me of my pride which is the area of sin that ruled my life. It is a slow, daily process for me.

Please pray that I would be still and spend time daily in prayer with God. This is a place he has made clear I need to work on. Prayer is such an amazing way to give your whole heart to God and I want that desperately and am beginning to see fruit of this.

I love verse seven in this section. I love that praise is what comes from following God's word. Many people feel burdened by "rules" but being in line with God's word provides the ultimate freedom and leaves us free to praise him with a pure heart!!!

I really have enjoyed this so far and look forward to next week!

Sorry this is so long :)

God's girl said...

Liz,
I love this! I know this journey you are on. I have to continually remind myself of this in marriage as well. God is so good to us through His word. I will pray this for you.

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff