Monday, April 7, 2008

Marriage for Happiness or Holiness

10 comments
 

Well, it is Marriage Monday again! To see what others are saying go here. The topic is is marriage for happiness or holiness?

When I first got into marriage I was very much into the "and they lived happily ever after" stage. Well that dream was squashed very quickly and then I was in complete and utter shock. What was a girl to do?

It took me many years to realize that marriage was not to just make me happy. It was a tool that God used to really make me holy. There are so many opportunities in marriage to die to yourself or submit when you do not want to. These things grow us in the Lord in our character and Christ-likeness. Holiness is a process so this person who you are to become one with will help you in this area and vice versa.

Many more years I lived thinking well marriage is only for holiness so I should not expect happiness of the fairy tales in and of it. It is just a childish dream and nothing else. So I pushed those feelings down. Then I realized that was a LIE!

God desires the biggest romance ever with us. Marriage is a shadow of that so it is suppose to be similar. It is suppose to be used for happiness as well. God would desire none less in the only earthly relationship that is given the high privilege of representing Christ and the church (Ephesians 5:32).

With all that said happily ever after is not a fairy tale! It is real life for now and eternity. So marriage has both things going. It makes us more like Christ (holy) and happy. So live each day to the fullest and enjoy your life with your husband. There is a happily ever after so live like it!

10 comments:

Kate said...

Your journey in marriage has been the same path I have walked in raising child #1. What a joyful suprise when rebellion ceased, the process of holiness began and then holiness and happiness came together.

There is a happily ever after so live like it! Words I needed to hear today.

Kate

Anonymous said...

Amen! Amen! AAAAA-Men!!! :)

Susannah said...

You've hit the nail on the head in this post! Thanks for speaking out so clearly that marriage is for both holiness AND happiness. These are some excellent lines:

God desires the biggest romance ever with us. Marriage is a shadow of that so it is suppose to be similar. It is suppose to be used for happiness as well. God would desire none less in the only earthly relationship that is given the high privilege of representing Christ and the church (Ephesians 5:32).

And you got me going, sister, with this: There is a happily ever after so live like it!

Amen!!!

Thank you for contributing to Marriage Monday today, Angela. Your encouraging spirit is an asset to this group.

Hugs, e-Mom @ Chrysalis

Kara Akins said...

One of the greatest works of grace has been in my marriage. I love how you desribe that you dropped the expectation of happiness. All this time God was working on us and I, too, never quite understood the joys that would result. I now question why I didn't love my husband more sooner. How could I have wasted even a day not enjoying the gift God gave me. Love covers a multitude of wrongs. Jack loved me (he never saw a wrong) I happened to see his ever flaw, weakness, etc. I thought it was b/c I had high standards but it was simply a lack of love. Now I have learned to trust God with weakness and love people the way they are....the way I want to loved.

Unknown said...

Angela,

There is a happily ever after so live like it!!!!!!!


Brilliant and awesome and WOW!!

Anonymous said...

awww i love that you say God's desire is the biggest romance with us.. it's so true.

Anonymous said...

I too was struck by your last thoughts "There is a happily ever after so live like it!" Wonderful.

~blessings.

Cheri said...

What a great post as this Saturday we celebrate our 17th Anniversary!

Susan Skitt said...

Wonderful! I loved this! So true.

Susan Skitt said...

P.S. Ang, I see a good article in this... I'd develop it and submit it to a marriage or women's magazine :)

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff