Sunday, October 28, 2007

We are out of control!

9 comments
 
Okay y'all. I must post this along with my other challenge. I am at my boiling point, seriously. I have finally realized that we have too much stuff. To simplify is key. My children drag their toys out day by day and leave them all over in every room of the house every day. This creates so much work for me when I have to pick them up. They have so much stuff that it is impossible to keep up with it all. So as I work on getting my body in shape, I will also be getting these things in shape. I am just sick of it. I cannot stomach it anymore.

I am so thankful for God's blessings and every good gift He has allowed us to have. It is a HUGE blessing. I have been thinking so much lately about those people who are less fortunate. Those children who have only one toy. They cherish that thing. They take care of it. That is not the case here. So, it is time to take drastic measures and simplify. There are many nice things that can go to others in need. Things that have barely been played with. Clothes that have never been worn. I want no new gifts in this house until the old are out. Folks, I have spoiled my children. Oh, Father please forgive me and help me get things back on track.

All of that frustration has got me thinking too about how little food they have in other areas of the world compared to how much we have here and indulge in. This next period of 40 days I am wanting to do a fast to bring me back to reality. I am not sure how this will take place or what specifically I will fast but I will be praying and following God's lead on this.

Okay, thanks all for letting me get that off of my chest. It is just so sad to see how we have it so good. We have all we need and then some. But we still want more. I am thinking of turning off all commercials-that just feeds into the appetite of wants.

I am thankful for all we have but sometimes we need a reality check and that is what is coming to us. I am hoping it will forever change me and with the money saved perhaps we can help out those others in real need. Thanks for bearing with me on all of this. I will post at least once a week about this journey.

9 comments:

Faith said...

You know, God has given me a very similar reality check lately--I think of DH and me as poor but then realize again how blessed we really are to have a roof over our heads, a car to drive, food to eat, clothes to wear ... seems like cliche to say, but imagining life without any of those things reminded me that I do need to be grateful for each thing, and sharing with those who are TRULY in need!

Maria (also Bia) said...

I am visiting from the karia and kijsa site and I must say I wholeheartedly agree with what you say. My husband and I have decided that, if we have no room for it, then we don't need it . . . especially when it comes to toys. Also, at the start of every New Year we go through the boys' closets (we have three sons) and anything that hasn't been played with in several months is donated to Catholic Social Services. Good luck on your journey, and God bless.

ocean mommy said...

I am so in agreement with you on this one! We gave away quite a bit a couple of months ago and it felt so good. I'm excited to see what God does during this time!

love you!
steph.

Susannah said...

I hear your frustration! If you're a "neat-nick" like me, picking up the house day in and day out is enough to drive one nuts!

One day/a week I let everything go (usuallly Saturdays). I don't make the bed, I let the dishes pile up etc. Seems to do the trick. Sooner or later, I'm motivated to do "my thing" again. Blessings!

Cheri said...

Oh Angela,
I hear you!!!! We were just talking about this because my kids have birthdays in September and November. Soon after comes Christmas. My husbands side of the family goes way way overboard. I tried to change it a couple of years ago- with no luck. This year I tried it again with success!!!!! I don't want Christ's birth to be about gifts to the kids and not celebrating the best gift!
Good luck simplifying!
Cheri

Susan Skitt said...

Been convicted of this lately too... we're watching carefully more so lately on how much we spend and on what. So true that there are so many needy people around the world who need help... I suppose the next question is, "What am I going to do about it?"

Videogal said...

I am in the same boat, sister! BC (before children) I was a neat-nik and couldn't stand disorganization. Well, you certainly can't tell it now! I am fed up with the clutter in my house! I've slowly been going through things, but the process is too slow for me! One day at a time...

Kara Akins said...

We're cheering you on! Have fun getting free. I am packing away all our summer things and pulling out winter stuff. We definately have too many clothes. I'll be joining you on getting rid of stuff so we can enjoy the simple life.

Teresa said...

that very thing of too much was something I eliminated from my daughters room this past year and I removed alot of toys with my daughter's help,she is very giving which makes it easier and she would rather give it away than have to clean it up. I also had to realize I could not keep my house perfect so there are things I no longer stress over and things I give more attention to.

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff