Wednesday, September 12, 2007

A Special Gift

8 comments
 
I just got back from a closed prison after care group meeting. The speaker was Jan Silvious. There were about twelve people there in total. Let me tell you this meeting did something to my heart. My dear friend Kara @ Mommy dot com, is involved in prison ministry through teaching a parenting class weekly. She and the ministry leader invited me to this small gathering. It was such a blessing to be there. I got to listen to the ladies hearts and pray for them as they try to come back out to the real world and readjust. Would you please pray for them also?

The funny thing about it is that I get a call at 3:00pm today with the invite. I have to leave my home at 5:00pm (I am not a spontaneous person). But I believe I am probably suppose to be there. I call all around to get a sitter for my kids because my husband is teaching a class tonight. I find one at the last minute literally last 30 minutes and go. The description I got from Kara was dinner and teaching by Jan Silvious with the prison volunteers. Or at least that is what I thought I heard. So ready for a fresh word, I set off. To my surprise the newly released prisoners were there as well. I was enjoying their company so much that if they did not tell me I would not have even known. They were ordinary people just like us. Dealing with the same issues just like us. They just blessed me so much. Hebrews 13:2-3 states, "Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it. Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering." Anyone of us could have been there in their shoes. And if we think differently we are lying to ourselves. Remember those in prison and those being restored.

8 comments:

ocean mommy said...

Wow. I will pray for these sisters. I want to hear more about this when we talk next time!

love you!
steph.

Diana Simpson said...

I am so glad you got to go! diana

Little Steps Of Faith said...

Hey Ang,

That is such a tough ministry. I think it is awesome that you ladies reach out like that:)

Be Blessed:)

The other ang lol

Kara Akins said...

That's a good word, my friend. And I am SO PROUD to call you that. Co-dependent and all - you still love me.... and I you.

Kathy said...

I have done a tiny bit of prison ministry. I love some of those women. They are more honest than most, knowing that their lifestyle wasn't the healthiest. Some are transparent and ready for healing. Thanks for sharing this!

Little Steps Of Faith said...

glad you like the idea, i could see if i can get some siestas to get the book from amazon its like under 9 dollars...what do ya think?

Or I can write it out too? Let me know girlie:)

Faith said...

What a great ministry! I would love to do something like that someday. For now I'm working with foster kids, but I almost did my internship at a women's prison!
Maybe someday ... :)

Kate said...

I was in Sunday School a few weeks ago with a prisoner and his wife. I found him to be exactly what you describe here. Normal...and very open to God's Word. One day, I'll have to write about it.

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff