Thursday, January 23, 2014

Some Thoughts on the Limited TV Decision

0 comments
 


I know this really sounds ridiculous because it is happening so soon after our decision to cut Disney Channel and most television but my kids have actually been very polite and caring toward one another the past two days. It has been incredible; almost miraculous. I don't know if I was just letting too much junk into their hearts or what? It does seem to correlate. What we are doing different:

1-We have had some extensive conversations about God and family. What God says about our hearts, minds and attitudes and why it even matters. This has been fruitful.

2-We have been praying more for their hearts and minds; praying more fervently and urgently.

3-I am helping them rediscover their strengths, talents and abilities. They are finding their creative selves again through this. Just yesterday they drew, produced a cooking show, made up board games, practiced photography, read, helped one another accomplish goals, made me a fun coupon book, and so much more.

Their attitudes have changed! It is almost too hard to believe for now and I am still skeptical but I do think clearing the garbage from entering their minds has helped.

I did not realize how much it was hurting them and here is why I believe it was actually assaulting their minds.

When we watch television we are either active observers or passive observers. Walt Disney himself knew this. When producers make good television shows or movies they make shows that provide passive observers an escape. It is a form of enjoyable leisure. There is nothing wrong with this unless, of course, all you do is watch television; everything in moderation.

This can become a problem with passive observers, who make up the majority of people. If you are a passive observer you do not usually see the agendas seeping into programming. It is information your brain is processing and it goes into your heart. Everything does. It has the power to influence. Why do you think comedies make you laugh? And are you  not in a better mood after watching one? Then after a tragedy, you are typically sad. That is one reason why I do not make a habit of watching the  news. It is so depressing. They focus on the sad or bad stories most of the time. I often feel bad after watching and at times I am tempted to doubt God's sovereignty.

Now I am an active watcher so as I process the incoming information I am always trying to figure out what the producers angle is? What is their agenda? What messages are they trying to get across? You can learn a lot about writers and producers this way. I am looking at motivations all of the time. I know it is weird. I thought this was normal and how everyone watched programs.

Because I am an active observer there are not many things that influence me. Take that ability and match it up with the large arsenal of God's word and it guards me sufficiently. However, these young hearts I have been given charge over do not have this same arsenal of God's word grounded in them yet. They also are probably passive observers. And the one with autism is trying to figure out social interaction in this world too easily takes this information in as a "how to behave in the world" lesson.

Naturally, I can only conclude that taking out the poison, though so soon, has caused their hearts to heal some. They are able to refocus on God and His ways. They are free to love and that not be strange. They can be friends. What an amazing outcome thus far. Really they did not watch too much television in the first place, however the qualities of the shows were poor. We still watch some things at times. We just are choosing to really guard hearts based on how each one is made. It is almost embarrassing to admit it took me this long to see it.

No comments:

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff