Sunday, January 19, 2014

Invisible Illness in the Church

0 comments
 
Here we are again on another Sunday morning. I am typing this through much trouble. As I type, I battle a backwards E shaped disco ball shining object in my field of vision. Sound strange? Not for me. Sometimes it is too much but at other times I have learned to compensate. What I am experiencing is a migraine aura. If you get them you understand, otherwise it is hard to comprehend entirely.

Prior to this visual field disruption, which I need to leave me before I can drive us to church, I am struggling with the pain from the air that surrounds me. I am feeling like it is pressing down on me and squeezing me. Almost like a million minuscule paper cuts at one time. I am having to keep all of my skin covered today, except my face, which will help with that some.

Add the pressure of sinus pain in and then that pretty sums up my morning. It is only 8:10am. Who knows what the rest of the day holds! I don't write this to make you feel sorry for me or to even complain. I am so thankful to be reminded often that I was not made for this world. My eternity is in Heaven and oh how joyous it will be to see Him face to face and shed this skin!

I write this because there are many around you suffering from invisible illnesses. We are not usually the type who complain much or even talk about it much. It is sadly part of our lives. We pray for it to leave us but until He takes it away we are stuck here. We are people with MS, Lyme, ALS, Autism, migraine, Lupus, fibromyalgia, depression, mental illness, and many other illnesses.

The frustration with these illnesses is that they are randomly activated. No one can know for certain when they will just decide to show themselves. Then when they do no one around you really knows it is happening or understands it. So when I do not reach out to shake your hand or cringe at the hug you may try to give me please understand I do desire to respond kindly but it hurts to bad today.

What can you do? Just respond kindly when someone refuses. Know people are struggling with different things and it is not against you or even about you. Ask those you know who deal with invisible illness how they have been feeling because they will not usually say unless asked. They just accept it is part of them and know this world despises weakness so they learn to not talk about it. See how you can help them.

If you struggle with invisible illness, know God sees you! He knows the great sacrifice you make when you do the things you do like going to church when you are suffering physically or mentally. This is my go to verse:
 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 2 Corinthians 12:9.

It is clear to me in this condition that anything I do is in His strength. I have none. He amazes me when He carries me in this way. Also, give yourself permission to rest. It is ok when you just stay home and rest. God knows your heart and sacrifice even when others may not.


No comments:

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff