Sunday, January 19, 2014

Disney Channel Portrayed Content that Helped Us Cancel Our Cable

3 comments
 
                                                         Picture taken from disney.fi


Tonight, we were viewing the on-demand episode of Good Luck Charlie titled, Down a Tree. It is scheduled to air next Sunday the 26th at the regular viewing time. It started out like every other show but side swiped us when Charlie had a play date with a friend who had two mommies. They try to make light of it introducing it as normal. Also it does go into how long the couple has been together and when they adopted their child. Things that I don't even know about the other kids best friends parents like the Wentzes.

This makes me think that it is sneaking an agenda into the show and on to the channel. It happens subtlety, they sneak in the agenda quietly a little at a time so that these things push the limit. This was the last evidence we needed to make the call to cut off the cable.

I know it should not have taken me by surprise as it did, especially in light of the newer series on abc family called The Fosters that features a lesbian couple who are foster parents. Yet I felt I could trust Disney. I thought Disney was different. Especially in light of this family friendly show of Good Luck Charlie, a large family who love one another and strive to help one another. There are shows on the Disney channel that I do not let my children watch but many are not horrible.

Yet none of the shows on the Disney channel push my family closer to Christ. This should not surprise me because Disney is of the world. My husband and I have been seeing this for some time but this show pushed us over the top.

The media has the power to influence our thoughts. Most of the media is of the world. Of what benefit is it to watch these things? How many things on cable really point us toward Christ? We found it lacking.

Homosexuality is not an accepted lifestyle. It is not normal. It is not what God created. It should not be made to look normal before my young children. This is not because I hate those who practice this lifestyle. It is because I love them too much to let this issue go. I want them to know there is a better way. My heart breaks over the world's view on this topic these days.

Why does it matter anyway?
The point of marriage is to reflect an image of Christ and the Church (Ephesians 5). This cannot be done in a same sex marriage. A same sex marriage is not fruitful. Each sex has been given specific roles to play that will complement one another well while bringing God great glory. The biblical instruction for marriage is for our good. And any violation to marriage purity is sin.

I don't want my kids to see living in sin as normal. It is for the world but not for those who belong to God. We have been given power through the Holy Spirit to rise above habitual sin. It breaks God's heart and broke Jesus body literally. That is enough for me to see that if something is not pointing me to God then it is not worth watching.

3 comments:

phillips1356 said...

I totally agree with you on this, when my grand daughters are at our house the first thing they do is turn tv to Disney . I have been amazed at some of the programs that they want to watch . Not only is it the shuttle issues that are slipped in but also the disrespect that the characters show not only to their peers but to the adults in the shows. When they have it on guess who is sitting there with them with their Gram ears tuned in..me.

Unknown said...

I did not know about the Good Luck Charlie episode, but I don't like Jake & the Neverland Pirates because most of the adults are portrayed as needing help or bumbling fools. The kids have all the answers, have higher morals than adults and solve all the pirate problems on their own. That's not the best message to send either. My toddlers enjoy Doc McStuffins and Sofia and Mickey Clubhouse. Most of those teach good hygiene, good manners and basic education. Your article gives me something to think about and saddens me greatly.

God's girl said...

Yes, thanks ladies! I feel like I was hit by cool water that finally woke me up. I saw the disrespect but kind of just ignored it. So glad my eyes are open now!!!

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff