Friday, October 26, 2012

Book Review: Contend by Aaron Armstrong

0 comments
 
I received a digital copy of this ebook at no charge from the publisher Cruciform for the purpose of an honest review.

The words, "don't judge a book by its cover" ring true in this review situation. When I had the opportunity to review this book I said yes not because of the picture on the cover but because of the subtitle which is, defending the faith in a fallen world. I was very intrigued because I was interested in growing stronger in my defense of the faith but I was a bit afraid this book may have been directed mainly for men. I however, have not let that stop me because I desire strong doctrine and deep Bible study. At times the more masculine titles can fulfill that need. However, don't let the cover fool you, this is a wonderful read for women as well as men.

This book is a short, easy read yet balanced with a good punch of Scripture. I liked the way the authors words flowed and how his writing was very ordered and researched. The basic gist of this book is taking a look at how we are to defend our faith based on the book of Jude. It is written in a loving non-threatening way which I appreciated.

The author took time to state why this is important. He argued why we must guard right doctrine and warned us that there are errors today that have been allowed to seep into the church. This is so dangerous and can lead many astray. He took us through how we can address these errors, how pastors and leaders should respond as well as lay people.

This book was just broken into five chapters yet I found myself well informed and inspired to make sure correct doctrine is in place among my influences. I liked too how he addressed that there are the important issues that are completely necessary to the Christian faith that must be defended then there are various preferences that we do not have to all agree upon but agree to disagree. The important non negotiable truths are those regarding the gospel and must be protected.

I do recommend this book across the board to all Christians. It is always a good thing to remember that defending the faith in truth and love is of utmost urgency in our day. So important that Jude dedicated a book to it that God included in His inspired word. It was not only true in his time and culture but in ours as well. This is a great companion guide as well to one who is studying the book of Jude.

You can get a copy of this book from Amazon here.

No comments:

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff