Tuesday, December 13, 2011

If You Hear, I am Team Jacob - Don't Judge Me

2 comments
 
There is an unsettling statement that keeps coming out of my daughters mouth. "I am team Jacob!" Of course I know what this means. I have heard the whole Twilight saga story. It is pop culture. Seen even some of the movies. They keep me curious. I really don't get the obsession with vampires and werewolves. I just don't get it. I have a friend who loves the books and she tells me about them. They seem to have good back stories to them which I love in character development so I understand that but really they are obsessive and dark. Plus to top it off people have been having seizures watching this latest one is what the news has reported. How crazy right? Anyway, I am not going to hate on you if you like these movies, I just really don't.

Back to my daughter. She keeps saying she is team Jacob. So I ask her, honey what do you mean? She said from that movie, he is the werewolf right not the vampire? She can identify which character he is. She learns this as she is out in public. These characters are out in public all around us, on shirts, posters, cardboard stand ups, movies, dolls, etc. I don't readily see these things they go over my head. Yet because she processes visually and has been seeing this stuff and processing pop culture she all of a sudden says, "I am team Jacob." She has no idea what it means. Except she thinks a werewolf is better. She can debate why. If you hear her say it out in public which she probably will please don't judge me. I don't let her read the books. I don't let her watch the movies. I don't even let her see the previews. She just learns visually so this is what pop culture in our stores is teaching her. Interesting. You cannot shield your children from it unless you stay away from the stores. It is pop culture. It is everywhere.
 
Another example of this is Justin Bieber. He is everywhere you look. We did not know about this boy until my girl started talking about him. I wondered why she was obsessed about him. Where she heard or saw him. She really did not like him at all. She saw his face everywhere and socially she could not understand it. It is those social things of pop culture she does not understand. Though we had nothing of him around she knew all about him. She picks this up visually from her culture. It is an interesting thing. I know the new trends from her. She sees what I do not. She studies it because she does not understand.

So don't judge what you do not know. I am just happy she is picking up some of the social world. She is interested and trying to learn it. That is what is so interesting about her. That is why I am so sure she is going to do well with aspergers. She knows what she does not understand and is very eager to learn, so much so she takes it on herself to learn it. I love that about her.

2 comments:

Amy Medeiros said...

That's really interesting! And such a good reminder to never assume! :) That's great that she has such a heart to learn.

God's girl said...

ha ha I know Amy! I should not worry anyway what anyone may thinking about us but still it will probably be an obsession for a long while. Her big sister just laughs about it knowing that it is silly because they know nothing about Twilight but she is obsessed.

She even says I know I have not seen the movies, etc. But she reasons through things. It is so strange it has become an obsession. Another reason shy I like staying away from stores!! :) But it is impossible. Maybe the grocery store is safe but even there you have all the magazines at the registers. She is so visual she picks up everything.

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff