Thursday, March 11, 2010

Vanity

2 comments
 
"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised." Proverbs 31:30

I never realized how incredibly vain I am. I am not one to focus on appearance all that much so I thought that I had this one down! However, as I developed this incredibly ugly staph infection all around the bottom of my chin I find myself wanting to hid.

I have gone out with it a few times and people have not run and hide but I feel like I can see it in their eyes. They are staring at it. Or maybe looking away because it is hideous. Or rather maybe that is just in my head. No one laughed at me or refused to help me because of it. Maybe in my head I make it a bigger deal than what it really is.

The fact is that beauty is fleeting. Anytime it can go away even unexpectedly. That is why we can never put our hope in beauty. Our hope must be in the thing that lasts and never changes. The only thing like that is God. He is so amazingly wonderful. His praise worthy description of a woman is not the most beautiful or charming. He praises the woman who fears Him. And in fear that means to be in awe of our Maker not a cowering fear. A fear where we can stand before Him though He could crush us he chooses to love us everlasting. Now that is my God!

"The king is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord." Psalm 45:11

"Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight." 1 Peter 3:4

So, I will hold my head up and walk this thing out. I cannot promise I won't hid some though as I work it through. Hopefully it will go away soon. I praise Him for revealing the vanity that remains in my heart. Lord, please remove it and help me stay focused on the things that do matter.
Thank You Lord for being enthralled by me even in this condition and help me to cultivate the beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

A great post, BEAUTIFUL! ;-)

Shelley said...

So true my friend so true - we need to constantly check our hearts and thankful that God thinks we are cinderellas x

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff