Monday, March 22, 2010

Pride

4 comments
 
Why is it so hard to ask for help? Today I was dealing with severe dizziness and slow reflexes. Not a good thing to have when driving. So it was obvious to me that I could not drive. But I had a very important follow up doctor appointment that I needed to go to. What do I do? Is it even possible to ask for help?

I know it sounds silly but I think that me having to ask for help just makes me feel more disabled than I actually am. It seems like I am accepting something that I don't want to need. I have to resign to the fact that I need help. I need someone else. I cannot stay independent. It is uncomfortable to know you need someone. Maybe it is just me and my great immaturity. But it is the lesson I am slowly learning.

God made us for community and to need one another. I am very happy to be the one to help others out. Maybe because there is something good that comes with that. Maybe it feels good to help but not good when you need that in return. It humbles you.

I know in my life the problem boils down to pride. I have always been more of an independent type. For years thought that was a good thing. But it is not. God did not make us to operate as lone rangers. He made us to operate in community. We need one another. We need to be okay with asking one another for help. Yet it is still a struggle for me.

I hate it when this illness hits. I hate it desperately. These days I cannot go into denial about it anymore it has become too strong. But I am learning to lean on God. Learning to lean on others. Learning to be a person who can be free enough to ask others for help. To know my limitations and operate accordingly.

4 comments:

Beams of Light Ministries said...

Hi there! Pride is something that is a common struggle. I am the "independent type" too. And, I too have had to learn how to accept help from others. Nothing quite humbles you like not being able to do for yourself. But when you find that you cannot, trust God enough to follow His plan. By allowing yourself to depend on someone, you are actually blessing that person. They may need to know that they matter. And helping you, may just be God's way of proving that point. You never know!

And one last thing - folks drive too crazy for you to be out on the road feeling dizzy. So, please, for all of us that love you, don't take a chance. Call someone. If I lived anywhere near you, I'd drive you myself!

Love ya girl,
Sanya

Christina said...

I'm the same way. I hate having to depend on others. As I get older their are times I need to so I guess I will have to learn how to lean on others.

LisaShaw said...

Hi precious sister in Christ,

Thank you for being transparent with your heart. I'm sure many of us can relate at one time or another to what you expressed here. I'm sorry that whatever your situation is that it's getting to this point and I will pray for you and may the LORD be your ROCK. Lean on and trust in Him. May He place the people around you that will bless and minister to your needs. If you need me, you can reach out!

Love and prayers.

Shelley said...

You are a treasure - you're so real and I love it xx It is hard to admit you need help - I can feel that way too - especially when I need emotional help - because you can't really see it or touch it yet it's so necessary - thanks for sharing the way it is for most of us x

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff