Saturday, October 13, 2007

The Rocks, the Drain, and the Restaurant

8 comments
 


We were just sitting there minding our own business. Then we saw them. A family came out of the restaurant. They looked like a normal family. Nice enough I would say.

I then saw their little girl run impulsively to the huge water drain in the ground. She proceeded to get the big rocks from the landscape and drop them into the drain. Her mother watched for a minute then said something to her. Whatever her mother said seemed to agitate this girl a bit.

Her father and sister had already made it to their vehicle while the mom patiently tried to get her child to come. When she persisted to disobey her mothers command, her mother called to the girls father. He came forth and said something as well but it seemed to agitate the little girl even more. For some reason she was fascinated, no fixated, with throwing rocks into this drain.

As her father approached her to take her to her vehicle, she picked up one of those rocks and launched it at him. She had no regard for other cars driving by, other people around, or anything else but the rock and her persistence to have her way. Her father then agitated scooped her up and carried her to the car while she hit and kicked at him all the way. It was quite an interesting scene. I made me wonder about this family.

The above narrative is written from the perspective of someone watching our family. It is only a small bit of what I could imagine they see when they watch us. This is one of the things I am speaking about with my youngest daughter. She seems to have a hard time shifting from one thing to another.

This week for school we have been studying rocks. When we arrived at the restaurant she was intrigued by the beautiful white rocks that were outside this restaurant. Then she saw the drain which had many in it as well. She thought in her mind that the drain was suppose to be filled to the top. In her mind she is thinking she is helping out.

After we finished eating and returned back outside the restaurant her mind was set to do again what she was doing before with those rocks. The patterns she repeats are hard to break. When she has to switch to something else she doesn't know how to properly do it. As a family we need to teach and train her how to do this.

Onlookers do question us. They question our methods. They criticize what they do not know. It is okay though because she has and is teaching me love, patience, and perseverance. She will eventually learn to process things correctly and she will learn better by being loved through it. By being patiently instructed and taught. She will get it and she is all that matters. We are accountable before God with how we handle her so what others think does not really matter.

8 comments:

ocean mommy said...

You and Tony are awesome parents. You are doing a great job. I know because I had the priviledge of watching you parent for several years.

God has great plans for that little girl, one day she'll testify to the faithful love and persistence of her parents.

Love you,
stephanie

Kari said...

"It is okay though because she has and is teaching me love, patience, and perseverance."

Oh, Angela! What perspective!

I've been reading and reading tonight. I am so burdened by how much I have been adding to the explosions around here.

It does my heart *good* to hear of someone else loving one of these really incredible kids and doing it *well*!

Thank you!

In Christ alone,
Kari

Susan Skitt said...

Angela... my dear friend... we have been and in many ways are still there in that same place with our youngest... it is a process of learning, for all of us. But if not for the grace of God...

It makes me think how many times God's had to just pick me up in my inability to see what I'm doing is wrong, in my weakness to process what is happening around me and move me along...

Cheri said...

You know I'm in that place with one of my girls as well. Thanks for being a great example to others that are struggling through difficulties.

LAUREN at Faith Fuel said...

I loved the way you showed how we can look at a family and maybe judge them, wrongly- and then you share from your perspective-looking out. Thanks for reminding us that not everything is written on the surface- there are many underlying truths, questions, and learning going on.

(P.S. Haven't heard back yet concerning the book proposal, but I may try another tack as another opportunity is opening. I'll email you more about that soon.)

Faith said...

This is so inspiring. Thank you for sharing the beautiful perspective God is giving you as you teach her and He teaches you.

Kara Akins said...

Here is another rock story I can add to my "Get Real, Be Still" piece!

Kate said...

Yup. Eventually you do get to the place where you can parent without giving much regard to the opinions of other people who are not entrusted to raise your child. I can see patience and understanding growing even in how you viewed the other family without jumping to conclusions. Some kids are TOUGH but they sure can make us better people!

Kate

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff