Saturday, October 27, 2007

A New Challenge

15 comments
 
Okay y'all. I have started a new challenge. See the Live well button on my sidebar for more details. If you are interested in doing it too please let me know we are in this together. But seriously it is time for me to do this.

This challenge is a great one. It deals with mind, body, and spirit. My mind and spirit parts are in pretty good shape as far as I can tell. But my body is not. You see, after God miraculously healed me two years and four months ago, I have put off getting back into shape. When your body is in stagnant position for seven years this is a hard thing to do. God has been speaking to me about this for awhile now. He wants this for me so badly that He even set up a free gym for me to go to. Now tell me, is that above anything I could imagine or ask (Ephesians 3:20)? With this gym comes a friend who will help me stay accountable. A prayer partner who will pray for me to have the strength.

I really think I need to shed 30 pounds. Although I am not weight focused, that is my personal goal. My outward goal. My inward goal is that I become healthy. That will also start with making some different eating choices. I will be cutting back a lot of sugar in our home which will also help with my daughters and husband in the long run.

Posts like Kate's (Small Scribbles)on how much sugar American's consume and Susan's (Adventurous Living) on her son crying about eating one carrot have really got me thinking a lot about wise choices. God gave us these bodies to use wisely. We need to take good care of them.

So the challenge begins. Also, I am sad to say this, but this challenge is also requiring me to give up a love affair that I have. It has become unhealthy at this point. It is not forever but only until it is under control. That love affair is with Starbucks Cafe Mocha's. My drink of choice. Due to the cost of them and my constant habit, I will have to give them up this month. Now, if someone buys me one as a gift or something (because that happens) then that will be the only exception to this but I will not be buying one for 40 days.

I will be giving weekly updates on how I am doing and I do hope you all will partner with me in prayer over this.

15 comments:

Kara Akins said...

Try my non-fat meisto with foam. It is only $2.50. I go without sweetner now b/c of my health. I have them add extra milk to smooth the taste.

Diana Simpson said...

girl you can do it. i will help in any way i can! i will be trying to run for the first time so I feel your pain!!!

Anonymous said...

Girl,

I am in the same place. I have a few more bad eating choices to deal with. Good luck to you. Pray hard.

Anonymous said...

thank you for visiting my blog :) and for your words of encouragement! Be blessed.
Christelle

Cheri said...

You scared me- I thought you were going to say your unhealthy thing you were giving up was blogging!

I'll be praying for you- I know all too well how difficult an undertaking this is!
Cheri

Anonymous said...

Good luck, Angela! I know you can do it. It's a struggle we all face. I usually do really well with one part, body or spirit, but I am learning how to be in balance with it all.

ocean mommy said...

I'm so praying for you! With Chad training for this 1/2 marathon, we are watching what we eat and I'm getting that urge to exercise more frequently.

I love you, and I'm proud of you for doing this. (All though, I think you are incredibly stunning just the way you are.)

steph.

Jackie said...

I know you can do it. Making a decision to get healthy is such a good one, and the added benefit of looking good comes with it. I have a new love affair with the gym and weight training- I am in there religiously 6 days a week now and feel better than ever. It's not even about the looks, it gives me SUCH energy and just the overall feel of my body getting fitter/stronger is incredible. I pray that God give you the strength and the discipline to do this, I know you can! Good luck- will be checking in for the updates!

twinkle said...

You know International Foods has those sweet mixes in the coffee section at the grocery store. Some are fat-free, sugar-free. And if you save the small tins, you can use them to make drink mixes from scratch and give as gifts. Just spray paint the outside of the tin and decorate with rub-ons!
Come back and visit my blog anytime. Love yours!

Anonymous said...

You are beautiful just as you are, but I am supportive to be healthy. I am working on that too, but I make starbucks at home, so my cost is relatively low as compared to the shop. I will let you know how I am going to work out as soon as I get my plan together, been thinking about doing this too, I already don't use sugar..but could use a lot more veggies..and plenty of exercise. Love ya

kari and kijsa said...

Love this- we will jump in! we really need this in all aspects! Thanks for the challenge! We might not give up our love of diet coke...yet!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Anonymous said...

I just have been visiting some blogs and am so happy to find such neat Christian women out here!

Oh, giving up mochas for 40 days, wow! That would be really hard for me. Good for you on making the effort! I did start switching over to lattes, for less sweetness and sugar (at least I think they are!). Starbucks is addicting and expensive and I would love to replace it with some other way to relax and rejuvenate myself. I think I choose Starbucks because is so easy just to pop in for a treat when I think I deserve one (which is more often than I would like to admit!). It definitely sounds like an addiction!

You've inspired me! Thanks!

Melissa

Faith said...

My husband and I have recently started focusing on our health, as well. We started working out together 3-4 times a week (God also provided a free gym for us to use! :)) and it has been a real blessing already! It feels good to get into those good habits. Been eating better, too, and it's been amazing to FINALLY be losing that extra weight! Keep up the good work, Sister! Run to win!

Susan Skitt said...

Know what you mean... even though I've been working out, it seems once I hit that 40 mark, my body isn't responding the same. Things hurt (like my back) in spots they didn't used to :)

As for my little guy, believe it or not, he will eat cooked broccoli so I load him up on it and apples too, but he only wants to eat apples at night time while we read a book before bed... (ARGH! - I'm sure you understand what I mean with this in regards to your dear daughter...)

Kate said...

Focus on health...on exercise...on eating whole foods and you will feel so much better. I'm on the same journey to health that you are.

Kate

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff