Monday, February 7, 2011

Homeschool Helps that are a Must for Us

2 comments
 
I have not done a home school post for a while so I though this was a good time. I was encouraged today by an article posted on working with kids with sensory issues. You can see it here.

With the sensory issues we have to work with these items are a must in our school.

These grips are great! My youngest cannot tell how hard she is pressing on the page so pencil leads would break all the time causing extreme frustration. Once we got a grip like this we have had no more broken pencil leads. It has been wonderful.
This exercise ball comes in very handy as well. I let my child who has fidget issues sit on it while doing her book work. This works great because she can keep her attention on the book instead of focusing on sitting still on a solid surface. It works wonders and helps us get lots done.
This mini trampoline is another must! It helps with numbers and spelling words. Something about the bounce and movement in conjunction with the numbers or words just helps. It makes her mind move faster and better. Love it. Plus it helps burn off that extra energy.
This book has been a great purchase. When we realized that there were social issues and skills that were becoming more of an issue than desired we purchased this. We have been using it and practicing the social skills. It has great pictures and instructions. My child loves to just flip through it when we are not using it and study the pictures. It has been a great help.

This book has been great as well. It teaches with pictures how to properly write each letter. It is fun and easy. Since we have small motor skill issues this book has been very helpful!
This math book is also wonderful because it uses pictures to demonstrate math concepts. Such a good one for us as well.

This phonics book I just found this past month. I really like it so far because it teaches phonic concepts with pictures and has been helping me and my daughter see the areas we need to work harder on. Since my daughter thinks in pictures this one is a perfect match.

Home schooling can be successful if you have the right tools. It has taken some time to get this all sorted out but these all appear to work very well for our situation.

2 comments:

Mining for Diamonds said...

I think it is great that you are tuned into your kids and found what works best for their learning. My daughter has some sensory issues as well...some of them about drive me batty, lol! She is a kinesthetic (is that how it is spelled?) learner in that she loves to move around. She is a study in contrasts because while she reads way above her grade level, she will NOT sit down to read a book. She'll listen to books on CD, (because she can spin and twirl and play with dolls while listening)...but sitting and reading a book is sheer torture! And don't even let me get into her clothing issues and the way they "feel"! She does well at school and her "issues" have not interfered with her functioning...yet...but at home it is another story! I would love to homeschool her but that is not where God has us right now...I think it is a blessing that she is in school right now, I don't think we would be able to survive me teaching her, lol! She does well in school, in fact I'm a little concerned because she is doing above grade level stuff and doesn't seem to be putting forth much effort to do it, it makes me wonder if she is being challenged enough. I love the philosophy behind homeschooling.

Anyway, I'm writing a book again, lol! Blessings to you on your homeschooling journey!

child of God said...

These are wonderful ideas! Teaching phonics is so important for kids especially when they get into the higher grades.

Keep at it you are doing awesome!!

<><

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff