Monday, August 31, 2009

Marriage Monday - Girl Talk on Love

3 comments
 

This month's topic is the legacy that we leave for our children about marriage. Children are so completely little sponges that take everything in. EVERYTHING. Though I talk to them about love and marriage, my words are empty unless I actually live it for them to model.

I fail so often in this area. My pride gets squashed, I am mad at Daddy. My feelings get hurt, I get mad at Daddy. I have been away and the house did not get picked up in my absence, I am mad at Daddy. The trash didn't get taken out again, I am mad at Daddy. I break a nail, I am mad at Daddy. I think you get it.

I don't have to say a thing about being mad. It comes across in my tone or expression. The girls pick up on it. Do I want them to mirror that same thing to their Daddy or their future husband? Of course not! I often find myself apologizing to them and explaining what God says about it all and how Mom falls short but Jesus helps me. I think this helps them to see our need for Jesus in everything, even marriage.

How about you? What are you teaching your children about love and marriage through your actions?

To see what others are saying go here for Marriage Monday.

3 comments:

Tami said...

Yep, I hear ya. Thanks for being honest both with us and your kids. Your humility to explain your own weakness will be a great benefit to them later.

Anonymous said...

Oh... convicted! Yes, it's so easy to get mad at Daddy, and forget the damage we're doing. I find that's especially true with my son... he identifies so strongly with his Dad that he thinks I'm upset with him! I really work hard at putting positive spin on things.

Thanks for joining us for Marriage Monday today, Angela. :~D

P.S. I re-entered your permalink--the one you left whisked us away to another post. All is well now.

{{Hugs}}

Christina said...

So true. Children are definitely sponges when it comes to soaking up anything they see us doing. That's right that we all need Jesus in everything we do.

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff