Friday, October 10, 2008

It has been a long time since I have been called a *****

12 comments
 
Well, for your weekend, I have another Walmart story. I really have stopped going as often so it just surprises me that I could run this blog on stories from Walmart. I am not sure why it is a magnet of crazy that is attracted to me--but it is. Man, every time I try to go again it never gets any better.

Today I was getting a few grocery items while my girls were at their art class. The Walmart is pretty close so that is why I chose to go there. When I was ready to check out I was cutting it really close to the time I needed to get my girls from their class.

The line I finally got into had a sweet older couple in it already but they only had about as much stuff as I did. We were both slightly over the 20 item mark. Plus they seemed so sweet so I just got in line behind them. Once the belt moved up showing some space for my items I started loading them up.

Behind me comes two guys while I am loading my groceries. They had already purchased something it seemed because one guy had a Walmart bag already. He had one other item that perhaps he forgot to get? I am not sure why he didn't just hit the fast lane. But they had this scheme.

They came up behind me and were acting really interested in the baseball cards. They passed by me and the other older couple and then as the one friend just left, the other with the item slowly came back and parked himself between me and the older couple who were almost finished with their order.

I just stared at him in disbelief. He was going to "cut" line in front of me! What is this, elementary school?! I realize he only had one item and I had over 20 but his intention was a "sneaky" cut-in-the-line. And get this, he had to be at least 45! I am not talking a young guy here. He should have known better for goodness sake.

When the older couple was finishing up their payment he went ahead and handed his prilosec to the cashier. She set it down while she was finishing up with the couple. I just chuckled to myself. Is this really happening?

Then he intentionally cut in and started checking out without looking at my solid stare into the back of his head. I think I could have burned a hole in it. I prayed about how to handle this and this is what I did.

I said to him, "Sir, you could have just asked me and I would have let you go first. I understand you have one item and I have many. But you should have asked. I have kids I have to pick up and am running behind. But if you just asked I would have let you go in front of me."

Do you know he had the nerve to cuss me. He said he was there first which was a bold face lie. Then he said some other mean things and went on.

It was the principle of the matter. Because I look so "sweet" people think they can take advantage of me. I felt like this was one that needed to be called out. I did it in love. Of course this is the kind of thing that continues to happen to me at Walmart.

Everyone else around our exchange tried to pretend they didn't see a thing. That is the most unhealthy thing I have seen. Anyway, bless his heart, his heartburn must go deeper than he even thinks. Please lift a prayer for him. He needs heart repair.

12 comments:

Cheri said...

That is really unbelievable! I can't believe the cashier didn't say anything to him either- did she say anything after he left???

I agree- you need to stay away from Walmart- but then again- who would be a light to the people there if you didn't show up?

God's girl said...

ha ha! She didn't say a thing. She said she did not see it-or when he came around. She was one of those non-conflict types. At all cost no conflict. Maybe it was an example for her as well. We need to start doing the right thing. Amen?!
Much love,
Angela

Kathy said...

Oh Angela! I can just "see" this whole thing going down! I LOVE your last paragraph--heartburn, indeed! But I agree with Cheri, you are sorely needed at Walmart to be the salt and the light. It's your mission field, Girl! :-)
Love you!

Dorothy Champagne said...

Even if the cashier didn't know who was there first, she should've told him that his language and attitude were inappropriate. An example for us to always uphold what is right and just - because "Wal-Mart" is all around us!

ocean mommy said...

OH.My.Goodness.

Girl...you could write a devotional book based on your wal-mart stories!!!

You handled that with grace...

Hugs,
steph.

Susan Skitt said...

I agree that this guy needs more than heartburn medicine! I think you handled it wonderfully. I know how hard it is to be on a time crunch with young kids too.

Praying for your writing that you are doing my friend :)

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Wow. Amazing that a middle aged man would act this way...I applaud you for the way you handled the situation...and I related to people taking things out on you because you look sweet...this happens to me often. Although if you read my blog you know that I'm not always sweet.

Kim S in SC said...

I love your "heartburn" comment. What a great observation! Thanks for the story!

God Chaser said...

Walmart-your place of devine growth.

Christina said...

How rude. Can you believe he just lied right to your face? Some weird stuff really does happen at Walmart.

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

Oh girl!! WOW!! I don't think I could've contained myself!!

Anonymous said...

That is awful! But I love how you tied in the whole heartburn thing. Too funny!

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff