Monday, February 11, 2008

On Homeschooling-Why Do You Do It?

11 comments
 
I thought because of my last post on "Stay at Home Mom-Why Do You Do It?" I would write about homeschooling. I tell you the thing I want you to realize in both of these decisions for me were just obedience to what God has instructed me to do. That does not mean it is what He wants you to do. Obedience is a very individual thing. God has a purpose for each and every one of our children (Acts 17:26-27). God has entrusted them to our care. Our job as parents are to be the best stewards of them possible. How do we do that you ask? We do that by praying and asking God what is best for them. He is the only one who knows what He has called and equipped them to do. He has the knowledge and wisdom. It is our job to ask Him for it. Then the harder part may be following what God shows us in obedience.

My story is funny because I could never picture myself as one of "those people" who homeschool. I had a stereotype in my head about it and the people who did it. It was another thing I would "never" do. Well, God is so funny that He had big plans for us in doing this. I do not believe home schooling is best for everyone. I know I will get flack about saying that from some in the trenches with me. But the fact remains that each child is an individual who was crafted by God's hands. He knows what is best.

I have a dear friend who really wants to keep her children home and home school them. God has instructed her that is not His purpose for them at this time. So out of obedience she sends them to school and trusts God with that. I, like her, feel so insecure keeping them home and teaching them. It is was God has instructed me to do for whatever reason that He knows and I am not to question Him. God rewards obedience. Period. Neither one of us knows how long our situations will stay the same. It is something we have to seek God's wisdom in year after year.

So what is your take on this? Why do you do what you do?

11 comments:

Cheri said...

God does reward obedience and I applaud you for obeying. I'm sure your children and you are reaping the rewards.
I don't homeschool for the simple reason that I don't feel called to do that. I know that a couple of my kids if they were homeschooled wouldn't learn well from me. We would get frustrated with each other.
God bless!

Anonymous said...

Well, I had six children who have all been home educated through high school.....and, God has grown me through the experience. I was often frustrated....but I learned patience....I was often overwhelmed, but saw God provide. I would do it again, and all my children have said they plan to home educate also. As far as who should or shouldn't? Don't do it just because others do it....know why you are....blessings!

ocean mommy said...

We homeschool because God told us to! Period. We are in our second year and I can't imagine doing anything else. Now....if God told us to place our children in traditional school, we would. But for right now, He has us homeschool....

Love you!
steph.

Kathy said...

As a mom who works out of the home40 hours a week, I agree 100% that it is about each mom's obedience. And you hit the nail on the head in the other post when you said, "If you work, you feel guilty. If you stay home, you feel guilty." And it's straight from the enemy. Awesome posts, Girlfriend.

Susan Skitt said...

We've been praying about our sons education right now and are in the process of looking into switching Christian schools. Each of our children have very DIFFERENT needs.

Please my friend, lift up a prayer for widsom for our family. You know alittle about my youngest's needs with an auditory processing/lanugage disorder. We need to make a decision in the next week with the renewal process or new application process.

At least for now, that is where God has us. I want to stay open to His will, no matter where that may lead for my children's education and beyond.

Thanks my friend,
Susan

Beams of Light Ministries said...

You're right. A friend of mine homeschools and enjoys it very much! God be with you! - Sanya

Praise and Coffee said...

I have homeschooled and my kids have been in public or Christian schools at different times.
Right now I have a son that is a senior in public school and I am homeschooling my 10th grade daughter. It is just what both of them need.

I love having my daughter home. I consider myself blessed to be able to homeschool her.

We prayerfully take it one year at a time.

Great insights Angela!
Sue

Anonymous said...

As a home schooled child I can say I loved the experience. I learned more in one year of home school than I learned in three years of public high school. ;-)

Kara Akins said...

Our children are in a chrisitian school this year but we are going to homeschool next year. We're just following God and He has clearly lead us. Looking back I can see why He had us put our children in christian school this last year. I was too ill to teach all five of them and chase a toddler. My husband's schedule was horrible all year too. I would have been WAY over my head. I am stronger now so I feel very touched that the Lord is providing for us to homeschool. Jack's schedule has changed too. He is only working three days a week so he can help!!!! We're so excited.

Faith said...

Amen! I am curious to see what God leads us to do once we have kids. :)
(By the way, I am a proud homeschool graduate: part of the "pioneer generation", along with Josh Harrish himself! ;))

Lori ~ The Simple Life at Home said...

I wrote a post about our reasons for homeschooling recently. Our circumstances will be changing soon and my husband wants me to consider putting them into a private school. My post goes one by one through the reasons we homeschool and then looks at them in the light of our new situation.

The basics though? I think children today don't have enough time to be kids. I think homeschooling offers the opportunity to study at your own pace and follow your interests. I think kids pick up negative socialization skills when they are not properly supervised (impossible when it's one teacher to 30 kids).

But mainly because we feel God called us to homeschool. Our kids are blessings and Deut. 6 tells us it's the parents' responsiblity to disciple their children and homeschooling offers the time and opportunity to do that.

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff