Monday, February 25, 2013

Mothering with Disability - A God Centered View

0 comments
 

First forgive me because this blog looks like all I do is book reviews. I have a bad habit of taking on lots of books at one time then of course reviews have to post...However mainly I want this to be a place of encouragement in Christ. I want it to be a salve to a wounded heart or soul. I want it to encourage you to look to Christ. Keep your gaze upon His beauty regardless of what is warring on around you. I hope it accomplishes that. For Christ is truly all we need. He is the end of all things. It is all for Him and His glory. Keep that focus friend and remind me of it as well! I need that reminder.

My confession to you is that often I find myself slipping into a mopey-oh-I-feel-so-sorry-for-myself place. This is not good people! It is not a safe place to be at all. However, God opened my eyes to something magnificent that I want to share with you, especially anyone raising a child with a disability or if you yourself have a disability.

This "disability" whatever it is, though so hard and bad in some instances has a greater purpose or good. Let me tell you what I mean by this. If my world was easy and my children were very obedient and my body held lots of energy to maintain a squeaky clean house, have dinner ready, (I mean a perfect candle lite one) every night as my husband came in the door, then I had enough energy to have amazing family time where we sang together and had wonderfully intelligent times of discussion together. Then the children went to bed perfectly on time leaving my husband and I lots of great time to bond. Oh what a world that would be right?!

In that alternate world I would be so tempted to be the center of my universe. It would be me who raised these perfect children and me who took care of my husband. It would be me who had this energy to maintain the perfect home. Quite honestly I would have little need for God. I have accomplished much on my own and therefore become the reality of my worship. I am an idol.

Our home is quite the opposite of this. Life is not an easy to solve thirty minute sitcom. Life has many challenges. Life can be very hard especially if you live with disability amongst you all the time. The last time I was having a little poor me pity party this is what God impressed on my soul.

Consider yourself blessed because the temptation to idolize the good things that He surrounds me with is minimal. It is a great way for Him to keep me humbled for it is in weakness that His strength shines through.

Wow! Now instead of looking at these various hardships as bad things (though they are bad) I can now look at them as gifts that keep me focused, dependent, and hanging on His strength. He is the only thing that gets us through. I know that full well so my temptation to take credit is minimal. He is so good to give us even this gift. 

What is your biggest struggle in motherhood? Have you ever thought about looking at it this way, as an opportunity for dependence instead of an inconvenience? No matter where you are in life there is a struggle even if you do not have a certain disability in your life. The key is getting the focus off yourself and the present problem and instead focusing on Jesus the Author and Perfecter of our faith. Focus on His beauty and love for you then know He will get you through as you cling tight to Him. Trust Him.

No comments:

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff