Friday, December 31, 2010

Book Review - The Discipline of Grace by Jerry Bridges

1 comments
 
I received a copy of this book free of charge from the publisher for the purpose of review.

I have really grown to love the author Jerry Bridges. He writes with a style that lovingly and humbly makes one look at their own heart and really assess it in the Lord. I am continually challenged by his books and it is an amazing blessing to be able to review these.

I am thrilled this is my last book for 2010. I know that if anyone desires holiness or seeing the Lord more fully that reading any of this author's titles will be to your advantage. These books are all packed with Scripture. They are really worth reading but only if you are serious about your walk in the Lord.

This title in particular speaks very much of our need to balance pursuing holiness and grace. We are to pursue a life pleasing to the Lord while at the same time surrender to the Holy Spirit in this so He can do the changing work. The author consistently emphasises the need for us to preach the gospel to ourselves in this process.  I like this as well because it takes away and need to feel guilt or condemnation which I am prone too. Christ took that away. It is a freeing book that allows us to do what we are suppose to and allow God to do His work in us. It was a perfect balance.

To get a copy from Amazon click on the link above.

1 comment:

Laurie Wallin said...

Found you through the #3in30 twitter thread, and was intrigued by your ministry. Being all about encouragement resonates with me since I'm a Christian life coach who works with those facing a challenge. They need a lot of encouragement as we do the work together to overcome whatever they face (loss, change, a move, etc.) Looking forward to getting to know you and what you do.

And Bridges' book sounds really great! Reminds me of one I picked up recently - Julie Barnhill's Scandalous Grace. I'll have to check out this one too!

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff