Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Gas Sacrifice-RMS Weekly Devotional

11 comments
 

"Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law" (Romans 13:8).

It used to be the sacrifice that was required for gas was the horrible smell that came from the back side of someone that you would have to smell for a moment and politely hold in the words that you wanted to say. Like, "Eww, you stink" or "You could have warned a girl!"

My other experience with gas is the horrible cramping pain it can cause in ones stomach when things just don't sit right-you know what I am saying?

Well, for the first time gas has caused some deep heart ache and I am not talking from heart burn. I am talking from heart break. After realistically assessing the finances it would take to participate in a wonderful family reunion and I am talking reunion of a lifetime. A reunion with not only bunches of relatives and family friends that I most dearly love but a reunion with my grandmother I posted about a few months back that has been found. It has been about fifteen years since I have seen her. I fear I will now not get a chance to.

You see, I went to the She Speaks conference in Charlotte, NC this past weekend. It was a ministry event and I was so thankful to God for providing it. But the unexpected expense of gas for my tank was unimaginable. I spent $160 dollars on gas and all the driving I did was to and from the hotel and my house. Can you believe it?! I know you can because we are all there now.

This Friday I was suppose to leave on an even farther trip. But due to our finances we had to cancel it. The cost would be too much financially for us to bear. You see, God tells us to leave no debt outstanding except the debt of love (Romans 13:8). Because of this and how hard we have fought to get and stay out of debt, we had to make the sacrifice of this trip.

Now, sadly many are disappointed. I too am disappointed. Gas has caused much heart ache and again pain. But do not be sad. God does honor those who honor His word in obedience. I am believing God to restore to us this time that is being challenged by these rising fuel costs. Never before have we had to cancel a trip but the times are changing.

Father, we know that You provide our every need. We thank You for that. Though life comes with certain disappointments I know You will honor the sacrifices we make in obedience to You. Even when it hurts terribly. Thank You for being our comforter and our ever-present help in time of trouble. Please help us to remain in unity with those who have been disappointed. In Jesus Name.

11 comments:

ocean mommy said...

Oh Angela, I'm so sorry you are missing the reunion. I know that would have been a very special time. BUT...I am so inspired by your obedience. I believe God is going to knock your socks off because you are doing what He says to do.

Love you girl!
steph.

Cheri said...

The gas prices are killing us too.
I'm not going to give up hope for your reunion though- you just never know how God will provide if it's His will for you to go.

Living Beyond said...

I really admire your stand - God does too - just watch for His reward!

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

Hey my sweet group friend!! I'm so glad you found me! I misplaced your card and was trying to remember your blog name!!

I feel your pain with this one!! Gas is killing a lot of us! I will pray that maybe the Lord will breathe a sweet blessing on you so that you would be able to go!

It was so nice meeting you and I hope we can stay in touch!

Kay Martin said...

Oh, Angela, you are making a great sacrifice to be obedient. As a new widow I'm bombarded with advice on how I should change my lifestyle for the long run. I just got one of those huge change suggestions. It hurt. I don't know what I will decide to do but reading your posts help me look to Who does know what I should do. Thank you. Our Father will show us and even if there is sacrifice He will bless us.
Kay

Beams of Light Ministries said...

Angela,

I pray that God will make a way, even if you never leave your home. God is a God of the impossible!

Love,
Sanya

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you are forced into this decision due to something like gas! The prices are awful, but yes, your obedience will be rewarded somehow and somewhere. Hugs to you...
Jodi

Susan Skitt said...

It is soooo difficult. We bought a big SUV right before the gas prices started soaring three years ago... let's just say I'm not sure what to do. It's tough. We really need the car to transport music equipement to and from church and other places...

I pray that you get to see your family soon!

Constantly seeking Him,
Susan

Christina said...

So sorry to hear about this but I know how you feel. I could not go to my mom's service because the plane fare would of killed us even with people helping out. The gas here is outrageous. I don't know what people are going to do.

Diana Simpson said...

girl, i love you~ Let's do fun hometown stuff ok?
dd

Faith said...

Hugs. I am sorry to hear that; you're right, times are changing. Like Ocean Mommy said though, I am inspired by your obedience.

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff