Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Weakness - Where Glory Can Shine Through

0 comments
 


I hate needing help. It is one of the most humbling and painful experiences of life as an American. Our culture is bad at seeing those who are weak and aiding them in general. There are scientists who want to kill off those who are weak. In general, the weak are not regarded as living, breathing, human beings with eternal souls made in the image of God. The strong prey on the weak. Weak people are taken advantage of all the time. I hate being weak.

I imagine other cultures do not suffer this ailment as we do because I observe in other cultures their high esteem for the elderly. When you grow older you become weak. Other cultures are communal so they don't mind being a unit and working together to help one another, it is natural. They don't see the weak as a burden.

In America we are individualistic. We are raised to take care of our own immediate family and take care of ourselves. We are raised to be independent, not needing anyone, believing we can do anything. This is not biblical. I am learning it the hard way because I am afflicted with weakness.

It hurts to feel like a burden. To feel like you cannot give back to others as they give to you. It is uncomfortable to be the receiver of care and help. It feels like a continual drain on others. When you do not look sick you feel this even more. A real or perceived judgement weighs in the air because you look able-bodied but you cannot do what the others do to contribute. You appear lazy.

As I journey this part of my life with waves of weakness and unpredictability I am reminded of what is really important and what is truth no matter what the culture defines as truth. I battle my mind to hold tight to biblical truth. It is a battle.

This is some of what God says about weakness:

"For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God" (1 Corinthians 1:26-29).

"So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong" (2 Corinthians 12:7-10).


These are just two truths. The Bible speaks about weakness all throughout because we are frail and broken, every one of us even if we don't want to believe it, yet it is in the weak place that God can actually use you. It is in the weak place where His glory bursts forth. This is where He gets the greater glory. This is where we want to be. Lord help us embrace the weak places and let your glory shine through.

Lord, forgive us for being independent. Help us to be hungry for your glory alone and in that help us to embrace the weak spots because it is in those that your glory shines brightly through. Lord help us see all we need is You!


No comments:

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff