Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Do You Love Me More?

8 comments
 

If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his [own] father and mother [in the sense of indifference to or relative disregard for them in comparison with his attitude toward God] and [likewise] his wife and children and brothers and sisters--[yes] and even his own life also--he cannot be My disciple.”
Luke 14:26 (AMP)


“You love God more than you love me, don’t you mama?” With a huff and pouty lips the question came at me like an arrow straight through my heart. I paused for a minute to calculate how to respond to this question. Then I said the only thing I honestly could, “Yes honey, I do.”

To be God’s disciple we have to love Him more than anything else. There can be nothing that comes before Him in our lives. Anything that we cannot say we love God more than is an idol. God is a Jealous God (Exodus 34:14) and will not accept being second in our lives. In His proper place, He is first and always needs to be.

That question was hard to answer because it really made me check my heart. Was God really first place in my life? Did I really love Him more than anything else, including my children? I honestly could answer yes that day. I am not sure what spurred the question in my daughter’s heart but her response was, “Well, you hurt my feelings. I am going to tell my children about this one day if that is okay.” Children are so precious. I had to explain to her that of all the people in the world she, her sister, and their daddy were my favorite but God is and has to be in first place in our lives. It was a good discussion. This is a good lesson we all need to learn. I am thankful my daughter is learning it quite early because it will spare her much pain. When we hold things too tightly God sometimes has to pry them out of our hands and that experience is not pleasant. Everything needs to be a ready offering to Him.

I have heard both of my daughters say to other people now that they love some things but they love God the best and that is so sweet. I pray it will sink down deep in their hearts so they will have a wonderful love relationship with God. That is all that matters. What about you? Where is your heart with God?

Father, oh how we love and thank You for first loving us. You are everything. Thank You for helping us realize You are enough for us. Lord, please continue to grow us in our love for You. In Jesus Name. Amen.

8 comments:

Susan Skitt said...

Yes, I can relate, I've had those conversations with my kids too. My oldest is now sixteen, but we've been talking about this lately with my six-year-old. I've tried to explain it this way, "When Mommy loves God the best, I can love you even better!" (Daddy's had this conversation with the kids too!)

It may be a bit confusing to them now, but in time, and with lots of love and prayers it will sink in. It's so cute to hear them repeat it back, isn't it? My little guy came to me the other day and said, "Mommy, I love you even more than Legos, but not more than God!"

Have a great day from one Mommy's heart to another :)

Susan Skitt said...

P.S. Your children are adorable!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheri said...

First of all your kids are adorable!
Wow- that would be a really hard conversation but I think you handled it so great!
Your kids are blessed to have you as their mother.
Cheri

jennyhope said...

just stopping bye! Your daughters comment on here cracks me up! Out of the mouths of babes!!

Kathy said...

Thanks for a honest post. It isn't easy to explain this to our kids, but we must. They need to understand that the universe does not revolve around them AND they gain from the overflow of God's love.

Little Steps Of Faith said...

WOW. Yea, Your daughters words were biblical?
Thinking back to Peter and Jesus...
Wow.

Yes, I do love Jesus more than anything; and I am sure at one point in my life, more so because I didn't know any better, that was the case.

Loved your responses to the Sister Freaks study:) Intense, siesta:)

Less of us more of Him, can I get an AMEN:)

Much love,

ang

Leah Adams said...

whew!! that was a great teachable moment. your post is a timely reminder to all of us that jesus must have first place in our lives. it won't work any other way!! the kids are adorable.

sometimes i think it is as hard for our husband's to understand that we must love jesus best as it is children. it is something that i have to be very conscious of with my husband--that balance of love and serving jesus, yet not forgetting about the earthly one i love so much.

have a great day.

leah
www.thepoint-leah.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I had this converstaion with my man a few years ago..tough to speak..but God uses it, and they learn to love HIM like that too! Keeping you in my prayers..you are doing a wonderful job..and truly it seems like forever but they will soon be combing thier own hair out and stealing your good shampoo for theirself! LOL

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff