Thursday, October 17, 2013

Book Review: The Spiritual Life of the Hobbit by James Stuart Bell

0 comments
 
I received a copy of this book free of charge from the publisher for the purpose of an honest review.

I absolutely loved this book! I believe anyone interested in The Hobbit or any of the other books by Tolkien should take the time to read this. This book was well formatted and had wonderful background information ready for the reader from other books Tolkien had written. It was also an easy read. I found it thoroughly enjoyable.

I learned a lot more about J.R. Tolkien as well from reading this and what he personally thought made up a good story. It stretched me as a writer and reader. I love how someone as gifted in imagination as Tolkien was explored because it only helps us grow through it.

Another thing the book did was help me to understand how he paralleled our world through his stories but did not like to write in analogy. That helped me see the spiritual side of his story more clearly. I appreciated this. I also appreciate how the author referenced the various Scripture verses that could go along with different scenes and passages of The Hobbit.

This is probably why the title says the spiritual world of the hobbit, however, I was not thrilled about the title. It was a bit skeptical about this book because of the title but I am so glad I decided to read this one. It was a great read and I highly recommend it, especially to Tolkien fans.

You can get a copy of this book from Amazon here.

No comments:

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff