Friday, September 28, 2012

The Journey of the Reluctant Evangelist in the Belt

0 comments
 
First, again this is about evangelism but on this journey I have been wondering what are the issues I have that have been making it difficult for me personally to share. God has been showing me. First, He made me a person of prayer. I have been skilled in this way. I did not realize it was a skill until I understood many people struggle to do it. You see when I enter any place I am (in my mind) constantly praying. The Spirit that lives in me shows me things and what to pray. I have always thought this was what happens with everyone else but I am learning this is not the case.

Knowing this I am taking my role more seriously. There must be a reason that prayer walking takes little or no effort on my part. It is simply who God made me to be as a part of the body. Not sure what part it makes me but I know it is important to participate in my calling. With that premise I need you to know I am constantly watching and praying and looking for opportunity to talk.

Sadly, another way I was made, is that words are difficult for me. I cannot do shallow or surface talk. I try I really do but come up short. I am so awkward. It is not a fear it is just seriously not being able to craft words unless it is something I am interested in and that I know the other person is too. Since I am really interested in people and their walk with Christ I want to talk about this, however in our culture there is a wall that you must get through before you can really talk about this. Most anytime I try to skip this step I seem to forward and lose the person I am talking too. So I listen, sit back and pray. When opportunity arises or a question comes I then have an open door to talk. I trust this is ok. God knows my heart.

I have been reading a book about a woman who was living in Afghanistan. Their culture is to openly talk about faith and God. They openly ask questions. They listen. They are interested in the ways of Jesus yet they are Muslim. At least they are open to listening and ask and talk about it openly and often. It is normal there. No wall you have to pry through. They consider the topic of faith important. I wish we were more like that in America. Then diving in would be easier.

Anyway, after all I have been learning my pastor posted a great Scriptural prayer. Read it here. It was great to see I could pray these Scriptures and leave it to God. As I went out to the grocery store as usual an older gentleman helped me by taking out my groceries. They really like our little guy and raved about how smart he was. I was able to tell him how that blessed me because we only got custody of him in January and at that time he could barely speak anything. I was so worried about it. It makes me cry to think of God's goodness and how far he has come in these 8 months.

He then shared with me that he was in a similar situation with his grandson. It was horrible what his grandson went through but they are helping him improve also. It is indeed a blessing.

I was then able to tell him that it is right to rescue these children from abuse if we can. It is right to adopt them. In fact it is living the gospel out. Jesus did the same for us, He reached down and rescued us from our life of sin and yuck and adopted us to Himself by death on the cross. We were on a similar path that He could relate to. It was a beautiful thing.

This man agreed and said simply yes, God is good. That was the end of our packing up of groceries, time for him to get back in and mine to leave. It was nice to converse like that. Opportunities I need to find more often but I am confident of this, God will open the doors as I am looking and He will make it clear and keep me bold as I ask Him. This is true evangelism. We must have a love for our neighbors. We must use every opportunity to share Christ.

No comments:

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff