Monday, July 23, 2012

Adoption as a Picture of the Gospel

0 comments
 
I was watching my friend with her adopted son. God showed me a picture in my head of the beauty of it all. As she tenderly held her son I could see how he did not chose her but she chose him as God does with us. Her tender care reminded me of God's tender care of me. How He loved me first. 

Then I could see how her son could bring nothing to her. He had nothing to offer but they still chose him. They still fully and completely adopted this child. They loved him completely. It was a precious thing to watch.

I never thought adoption would be something that we would do, however God does not lay out the 5 year plan for us either. He started speaking to my husband and I about adopting a little boy who was 3 or under. I must admit it was a really fun thought. We were not sure how it would happen but trusted God would just lead us and show us what we needed to do.

That is how little man came into our lives. He just turned three and needed a home. He had nothing to offer us. Yet instantly we feel in love with him. We chose him. We accepted the task of getting legal custody of him to give him a home. To help his parents out so they could get their lives together to later reunify them together if they did the things that the court deemed necessary. 

This is how our situation with him is hard. There is no guarantee that the process will ever be complete. This Scripture helped me explain how it makes my heart feel about it. 

"And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience" (Romans 8:23-25).

Just as God has adopted us as daughters and sons it is not fully completed until that day He comes back for us. On that day all will be final and complete. Until then we will be groaning inwardly as we wait.Though we wait with hope. Though we have legal custody of our little guy it is not final and complete until a determined time. It is hard to wait for the outcome. He has been with us now for six months. It will only get harder as we connect more as a family. Yet we wait with patience and hope in God's perfect plan and timing. 

No comments:

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff