Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Chronic Illness as a Helper

2 comments
 
"Now the Lord God said, It is not good (sufficient, satisfactory) that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper meet (suitable, adapted, complementary) for him." ~Genesis 2:18

I love the roles that God gives us as husband and wife. However, there is a problem that presents itself when I go through a period of sickness. I don't feel like I am much of a help. In fact I am honestly more of a burden. Yet God knows. He has called us to be selfless toward one another in marriage.

There will be times when we will be unable to complete certain tasks. We need to be realistic. I struggle with this so much. I am by nature a type A personality, yet God has made it impossible for me to act it out. I am unable to be this when I want to be. I do think it is a good thing because I do not know when to stop. As God allows me now I go. Otherwise I would be like an energizer bunny and that is not healthy for anyone. Even as a helper it can become overbearing.

As the amplified version states helper meet as suitable, adapted, and complementary for him. I can see these things in my own life and marriage to my husband. We do suit each other. It seems when I am sick, he is well and vice versa. Also, we have learned to adapt to one another. We also complement one another well because we are opposites and with this God allows us to be shaped and challenged. Marriage is an amazing tool that is used to refine us and make us more Christ like as we learn to live with one another selflessly as sinners.

The word for helper in the Hebrew is ezer. It literally means one who helps. Now when you are chronically ill how can you be this?
1-You can communicate with your husband and save your energy for those things that are really important to him. Whatever that may be. Especially intimacy.
2-You can faithfully use your down time to really cover him in devoted prayer.
3-Be honest about what you can and cannot do at this time. God will provide. He understands.
4-Be a good friend and listener. Be his cheerleader.
5-Do not be critical of things he must pick up and do that you usually do. When you can help.

I appreciate your prayers during this time. I am on day 8 of antibiotics. I have 22 days to go. I am very tired and fatigued already. It is limiting me at this time. I hope it does not get much worse but I am not hopeful. I do want it to be effective and kill aggressively any bacteria that still may be present in my body.

I love this verse, "And then the Lord your God will send terror to drive out the few survivors still hiding from you!" (Deuteronomy 7:20). May He do this! In context God sent this to drive out enemies. I think it can apply here too. Sickness in this little bug is still a great enemy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Angela, i love your transparency! May God continue to speak to you and use every ounce of who He created you to be in HIM!
Katie

blogger said...

I saw a comment here a few weeks ago about Dr Agbazara and I decided to contact him as instructed, thanks to this man for bringing joy to me as wished for. I followed instructions which he gave in order to get my lover back who left me and the kids for 3years now, but thanks to Dr Agbazara because they are back to me now for good and we are happy together. Please do contact him for help too if in a relationship problem via email at: ( agbazara@gmail.com ) OR Via WhatsApp on: ( +2348104102662 ). And testify for yourself.

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff