Thursday, March 5, 2009

God's Will For You

7 comments
 
"Pray continually, Be thankful in all circumstances for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
1 Thessalonians 5:17

I was in the local Starbucks waiting on my delicious drink of choice, the one and only cafe mocha, to be prepared for my drinking delight. As I anticipated my order's completion pondering how thankful I was that God allowed this invention of coffee and chocolate the strangest scene occurred.

A man entered the store. He seemed very agitated and paced a bit trying to earn the barista's attention. Since it was pretty busy on this day he wasn't given much focus until he decided to blurted out to whoever would listen to the following, "I know the coffee was free but I spilled it all over myself, it was too hot, so thanks, thanks a lot." Then he turned and immediately walked away.

Apparently somehow this gentleman received a free coffe drink (a delightful dream to me, free Starbucks now come on). When he had the coffee in his car at some point he ended up spilling it on himself. The coffee was hot (seriously it is coffee it is suppose to be hot). This act upset him enough that he felt the need to drive around, park his car, get out of his vehicle, enter the store, hunt down someone to verbalize his irritation on or rather word vomit on, and leave. Now that took a lot of effort. He wasn't asking for another coffee. He wasn't wanting anything except to spew his anger at someone else.

What was the purpose of that? Did he want to blame someone else for his clumbsiness? Did he want his coffee served cooler? Did he realize that he was blessed with a free coffee in the first place? Did he realize that words pierce people to the heart? Those barista's were working very hard in there that day. When that man came in and expressed those words the atmosphere changed. They did not need that negativity. There is enough to that in the world already.

What was the motive? Did it make that man feel better? I doubt it. He was not familiar with the simple principle to be thankful in all circumstances. Afterall it was a free coffee he spilled. Sometimes we get so focused on ourselves that we fail to see the others around us that may be hurt by our actions or words. It is a good reminder to us to always be aware of others and to not speak anything that will tear someone else down. That is probably why God wills for us to be thankful in all things. When we live an attitude of grattitude it spreads cheer to others. Life is hard enough anyway. So lets practice thankfulness today. What is something you are thankful for today?

7 comments:

Susannah said...

This is quite the story! Yes, an attitude of gratitude does cheer others... and it's a choice we make. A good word!

Have a blessed weekend. :~D

Kara Akins said...

I hope Starbucks doesn't have a lawsuit on their shoulders. It happened to Mcy D's you know.

I am thankful for having a friend like you. And you have bought me some Starbucks so I think that would be a double thanks!

Wait! Come to think of it that coffee you got me was really hot and I burned the tip of my tongue. How dare you??? I may never let you buy me a coffee at SB again. So kidding. You know I'm kidding, right? Right???

Fran said...

Ya know...its soooooo true. If we would be grateful IN ALL THINGS, then we would pass that along to everyone we come in contact with. The slightest irritation can cause me to be, say, or do something I shouldn't. Now that person is bothered by the little thing I did to them. It had nothing to do with them in the first place.

I'm going to be grateful today and not focus on myself...focus on showing the fruit of the Spirit to anyone I can.

Hugs~
Fran

Cheri said...

When people act like that I always try to think about what they have going on in their lives. I'm guessing they could have some pretty awful things going on to be in that bad of a way.

I'm thankful today that even though my hubby business took a 10% pay cut across the board- he still has a job!

Christina said...

Whats so ironic about this is that if he came in and told them nicely they would of given him another one, for free.

I am thankful that I have a little pocket money to be able to go to Starbuck's occasionally when in this world many people can barely eat. Usually I have a Starbuck's because this is where my Bible study meets on Thursdays.

ocean mommy said...

wow. VERY convicting today. :)

Love you...
steph.

Faith said...

That is quite the story! And a wonderful reminder for us all. I am thankful for my husband, who is an amazing partner in life and in parenting. And I am thankful that both boys settled down for the night unusually easily tonight! :)

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff