Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A Walk with the Kings of Israel Wednesday

2 comments
 

A Look At Jeroboam Part 1

We get our first glimpse at Jeroboam’s character in what we read last week. When he was given words of God from the prophet about being king of most of Israel the prophet also spoke this, 37 However, as for you, I will take you, and you will rule over all that your heart desires; you will be king over Israel. 38 If you do whatever I command you and walk in my ways and do what is right in my eyes by keeping my statutes and commands, as David my servant did, I will be with you. I will build you a dynasty as enduring as the one I built for David and will give Israel to you. 39 I will humble David's descendants because of this, but not forever"(1 Kings 11:37-39).

What an amazing message to receive. But there was a conditional clause here. See it in verse 38? If Jeroboam does whatever God commands and if you walk in my ways and do right in God’s eyes. If is the big word here. If he does right and rules for God not himself he will be bestowed with many blessings that are listed. This is a chance at a big future to make things right.

When you are placed in a position of leadership there will be testing. Shortly after this in verse 40 from last week we see that Solomon tried to kill Jeroboam. So, Jeroboam fled to Egypt. How often do we know that God has given us something to do yet we run in fear and hide? At Solomon’s first attempt (as far as we know) to kill Jeroboam he runs. Not only does he run to another part of Israel but he runs to Egypt of all places. The place of bondage. This is interesting to me. When God entrusts something to us, testing will come. Will we endure it or run and hide?

When we walk in faith we know who we belong to. Jeroboam was told that God will be with him. Wouldn’t that mean at all times especially when someone is trying to kill you? Yet instead of trusting God, he ran. Now don’t hate on him this is what most anyone would do in a weak moment. He did not realize He was protected by the hand of God. How often do we fail to realize this in our own lives? If God has called us to do something then He will equip us to do that work and He will finish that work. We need to walk that out in faith.

Now if you read 1 Kings 12 you will find out that after Solomon’s death Jeroboam returns to Israel. Pride took over in Rehoboam’s (son of Solomon) life. He was not willing to be kind to the people because he was king. He listened to some unwise advice. But it is very interesting to see in verse 15 it states,”the turn of events was from the Lord to fulfill the word the Lord had spoken to Jeroboam.” Because of this the people of Israel rebelled against him and made Jeroboam their king. So now we have Rehoboam ruling the tribe of Judah and Jeroboam the rest of the kingdom.

Doesn’t it amaze you that God truly does appoint all authority. Romans 13:1 states it like this, “Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.” It is so important that we pay attention to this at this election. God appoints authority for various reasons. It is our job to pray for them and our country. It is our responsibility to vote for who we believe lines up best with the leader God desires.

Rehoboam did not like his kingdom being taken away. I would think he would have had to known it would happen because word like this must get around. Perhaps he didn’t know Jeroboam was supposed to have the rest of the kingdom. Either way, he takes matters into his own hands and gathers the people in his area of rule with the intention of going to war against Jeroboam and Israel. Rehoboam wanted the rest of the kingdom back.

God has his prophets intervene again (don’t you just love this about God). The prophet said this, “23 "Say to Rehoboam son of Solomon king of Judah, to the whole house of Judah and Benjamin, and to the rest of the people, 24 'This is what the LORD says: Do not go up to fight against your brothers, the Israelites. Go home, every one of you, for this is my doing"(1 Kings 12:23-24).

This is so important. God does not want us to fight against our brothers and sisters in Christ. Please know that the very heart of God is for us to be united. He needs a united body. How crazy is it to operate as one unit when one foot wants to go one way and the other the other way? You just don’t get that far that way. As one body of believers we need to learn to walk in unity. Especially encouraging one another. It is imperative we do not tear one another apart. It grieves my heart deeply when people call themselves Christians yet will not make the effort to get along with their brothers and sisters in the Lord.

Rehoboam and his troop listen to God and head back to their own places. They do not proceed in the war.

1-What about you? Have you ever let fear rule your life? How?

2-Do you really know who you belong to? Are you secure in Him and the works that He has given you to do? How and why?

3-How do you respond to authority? Is it easy for you to accept that all authority is appointed by God?

4-How are you voting? Do you pray about who to vote for and what God’s will is before you vote? Do you just vote for a party? Discuss.

5-Unity is at the very heart of God. Jesus prayed for it in one of his last prayers before the crucifixion in the book of John. What are some ways we can help with unity of the body?

Copyright 2008-Refresh My Soul Ministries-Angela Parsley

2 comments:

Pat said...

Angela,
This is a great word! Deep and thought provoking. Following God is a daily undertaking and such an exciting journey!
Thank you for sharing this.
Bless you!

Kay Martin said...

3-How do you respond to authority? Is it easy for you to accept that all authority is appointed by God?
The revelation to this question was one of my greatest breakthroughs. My childhood was filled with parents and authorities not being in place or trustworthy. Trusting authorities is most difficult when this is life's beginning. But God...oh yes, Ps. 27:10 opened righteousness in this area for me. This is my paraphrase: If my father and mother abandon me; yet will the Lord take me up. Once I saw this as what God had actually done throughout my life I could trust God in authorities no matter what. Not seeing my father, step-father, uncles, etc. in male bosses I could submit and please God Himself. No more did I fear a female authority because I knew my mom's mental lapses were not her; therefore seeing God was always there to keep me when Mom lost it; I can submit to women in authority over me because God is ultimately in control.

This is a great question and the answer in God is life-changing.

Again you stir up the goodness of the Lord within me.

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff