Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A Walk with the Kings of Israel Wednesday-A Kingdom Divided

6 comments
 
Rehoboam was Solomon's son. Naturally in the normal kingly order of things, he should be the one to inherit the throne to the kingdom of Israel. Yet this is not what actually happened.

Solomon sinned. God said in the law we read last week that "the king must not take many wives, or his heart will be led astray" (Deuteronomy 17:17). Unfortunately this was Solomon's weakness. He obtained many wives from surrounding people groups and as God states they lead his heart astray. Solomon left his first love, God. He started to worship other false gods. This act did not please God.

This is how the Lord handled this situation, "Since this is your attitude and you have not kept my covenant and my decrees, which I commanded you, I will most certainly tear the kingdom away from you and give it to one of your subordinates. 12 Nevertheless, for the sake of David your father, I will not do it during your lifetime. I will tear it out of the hand of your son. 13 Yet I will not tear the whole kingdom from him, but will give him one tribe for the sake of David my servant and for the sake of Jerusalem, which I have chosen" (1 Kings11:11-13).

God is so patient, Solomon had 1000 wives. These women led him astray over time. 1000 wives could be punishment enough! But, he didn't learn because he started worshiping their gods. Because Solomon refused to repent of these actions he lost the large kingdom that was to be passed down to his son. Now a nation that was suppose to be united has divided. All because of self-focus instead of God-focus.

Jeroboam enters into the picture. He is given a big promotion because his work is noticed by the king. He is most likely just faithfully doing his work going about his own business when something HUGE happens to him. A conversation that will change his life. A huge opportunity to do something great. He is chosen by God for a huge task at hand.

Read 1 Kings 11:28-40 below.

28 Now Jeroboam was a man of standing, and when Solomon saw how well the young man did his work, he put him in charge of the whole labor force of the house of Joseph.

29 About that time Jeroboam was going out of Jerusalem, and Ahijah the prophet of Shiloh met him on the way, wearing a new cloak. The two of them were alone out in the country, 30 and Ahijah took hold of the new cloak he was wearing and tore it into twelve pieces.

31
Then he said to Jeroboam, "Take ten pieces for yourself, for this is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: 'See, I am going to tear the kingdom out of Solomon's hand and give you ten tribes. 32 But for the sake of my servant David and the city of Jerusalem, which I have chosen out of all the tribes of Israel, he will have one tribe. 33 I will do this because they have forsaken me and worshiped Ashtoreth the goddess of the Sidonians, Chemosh the god of the Moabites, and Molech the god of the Ammonites, and have not walked in my ways, nor done what is right in my eyes, nor kept my statutes and laws as David, Solomon's father, did.

34 " 'But I will not take the whole kingdom out of Solomon's hand; I have made him ruler all the days of his life for the sake of David my servant, whom I chose and who observed my commands and statutes. 35 I will take the kingdom from his son's hands and give you ten tribes. 36 I will give one tribe to his son so that David my servant may always have a lamp before me in Jerusalem, the city where I chose to put my Name. 37 However, as for you, I will take you, and you will rule over all that your heart desires; you will be king over Israel. 38 If you do whatever I command you and walk in my ways and do what is right in my eyes by keeping my statutes and commands, as David my servant did, I will be with you. I will build you a dynasty as enduring as the one I built for David and will give Israel to you. 39 I will humble David's descendants because of this, but not forever.' "

40 Solomon tried to kill Jeroboam, but Jeroboam fled to Egypt, to Shishak the king, and stayed there until Solomon's death.

What astonishing news! He is told he will get a huge part of the kingdom from his boss. We also see in verse 33 the reason why the kingdom is taken from Solomon. This is an important point to take note of and remember as we go along.

In verse 38 we see a condition to his family having the kingdom. List what that condition is.

Solomon must have caught wind of Jeroboam's future because he tries to kill him. But Jeroboam flees. It is funny because Saul tried this with David. Like we could really kill God's appointed ruler. It just cannot happen until God's appointed time.

1-Jeroboam is just out on an ordinary day and just finds out God is going to build him a dynasty if he does things God's way. Can you imagine? Just going out to Walmart to get the weekly groceries and you run into God's spokesman who hands you the keys to a mansion and the power to rule a nation. How would you handle news like that?

2-Never think that anyone gets away with living in sin. The sin could seem to hurt no one for awhile but eventually it will catch up with you. There are always consequences to our sins. We must confess sin to God as soon as we realize it is there and He will not hold it against us, He wipes us clean. That lifts such a burden. However, because God is just there are always consequences to sin. God loves us too much to let us get away with these things. Think of your own children and their transgressions. As parents should we just say oh well and not put any consequences on them for their behavior? I think not. If we live like that then we truly do not love our children because we don't care enough to teach them the right way to go. We learn through consequences. Love gives consequences and discipline. See Hebrews 12:5-11.

3-We can only worship one God. We have to make a choice. Who do you worship? If you worship God you follow Him. Where your going proves who you worship. Share your thoughts.

4-List the reasons God took the kingdom out of Solomon's hands. List why God allowed some to remain. God is so patient with us. He has such great love for us. What are your thoughts about this?

5-God's love is never conditional but blessings usually are. God shows us ways to live our lives. If we live in obedience to His ways blessings follow. If we rebel against God then no blessings but consequences follow. These things are conditional. God clearly states those guidelines to Jeroboam through his prophet Ahijah in verses 37-39. Can you list some consequences you have had to bear because of your actions?

6-It is interesting that we see over and over how God establishes leadership. He uses these things to teach us. Solomon's line needed humbling so God took the majority of the kingdom from them in order to accomplish that but it was only for a time. God said it would not be forever. This came to pass when Jesus came as King of the entire universe. Ultimate rule was given back to that family line because it was the line of Christ. Share your thoughts on this.

Copyright 2008-Refresh My Soul Ministries-Angela Parsley

6 comments:

Praise and Coffee said...

Excellent study, thank you for taking the time to write it!
Sue

Kathy said...

It fascinates me that there were no good kings in Jeroboam's line. They kept getting worse and worse. I think the pattern began when Jeroboam cultivated a false religion so that 10 tribes of Israel would not go into Jerusalem for their worship.
He gave them a new place to worship and new gods. I don't know how he forgot about God's promises to him but he started an ugly pattern in Israel.
We can do the same, brush up against God's provisions but not trust them. Do we trust our own plans more than God's promises? Thanks for sharing, Angela! Kathy

Dorothy Champagne said...

I think it's interesting to note that God kept making allotments "for David's sake" to Solomon. It's actually mentioned twice in your post. So even though David completely screwed up - God is still showing his unconditional love for David - even through his children. So nice to see that even when we screw up so big - God still unconditionally loves us!
Thanks for this wonderful reminder!

Christina said...

It always amazes me how things like this in the Bible correlate to today and answer many questions that we all have. The Bible has the answers for today just like it did for yesterday.

Kay Martin said...

Good study on the generational blessings and curses that operate in all people's lives. I pray often over me and mine that the blood of Jesus draws a line and the succeeding generations will not be overtaken by generational curses.

Jeroboam and Solomon demonstrate this so well and you have brought this to our everyday life. Oh, our gratitude for all Jesus secured and redeemed for us all.

God's girl said...

Ladies,
Those are all wonderful comments. I am so amazed too at God's love and grace. God is so patient. It just makes me stand in awe of Him.

Thanks so much for sharing and taking the time. God will bless us as we grow more and more in Him.
Much love,
Angela

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff