Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Psalm 119 - Week 14

1 comments
 


Listen to this song to start and prepare your heart. When I read verse 105 I cannot help but think of this song.

Nun
105 Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.
There is great comfort when you can know there is a road map for you when you feel lost. If we stay on the path written out we are less likely to get lost. His word keeps our way illuminated. We can stay the course if we abide by it.

106 I have taken an oath and confirmed it, that I will follow your righteous laws.
David had resolved to follow God's laws, period. We would be good to fix our minds in such a way as well. Not out of legalistic compulsion but out of an overflow of love for our Savior. To resolve to follow His righteous ways is a privilege not anything else.

107 I have suffered much; preserve my life, LORD, according to your word.
Here is Spurgeon's words on this verse, "I am afflicted very much. According to the last verse he had been sworn in as a soldier of the Lord, and in this next verse he is called to suffer hardness in that capacity. Our service of the Lord does not screen us from trial, but rather secures it for us. The Psalmist was a consecrated man, and yet a chastened man; nor were his chastisements light; for it seemed as if the more he was obedient the more he was afflicted. He evidently felt the rod to be cutting deep, and this he pleads before the Lord. He speaks not by way of murmuring, but by way of pleading; from the very much affliction he argues for very much quickening."
Thoughts on this?

108 Accept, LORD, the willing praise of my mouth, and teach me your laws.
When we are enamored by His love even so in the midst of trial, we should be giving God praise out of our free will. We cannot help but praise the One who redeems us. We also cannot help but to want to know more about Him and His laws.

109 Though I constantly take my life in my hands, I will not forget your law.
David chose to not forget God and His law as he lived in hard conditions. Though he was king and was "entitled" to the kings life he did not see it that way. He could have killed the obstacle in his way of King Saul but he refused to do that to the Lord's anointed. He let things all play out in due time. I can learn so much from him in this!! So often I want to demand my so called "rights" in a situation but instead I should be looking too and seeking out God and His laws through my times of trial and running for my very life.

110 The wicked have set a snare for me, but I have not strayed from your precepts.
We will always have enemies as we pursue God. Persecution abounds around us. And we have a war against the spiritual forces of darkness however none of this should cause us to stray from Him but instead draw in closer.

111 Your statutes are my heritage forever; they are the joy of my heart.
Oh to really live as His word being our inheritance. That they would be the ultimate joy of our heart forever! We must remember what a blessing His word is even when we feel like we do not want to read it.

112 My heart is set on keeping your decrees to the very end.
Oh this is my prayer for us this week. May we be a people who set our hearts on keeping His law. May we be a people who finish strong in HIM! 

1 comment:

mimmyto3 said...

Verse 105 tells us that God's Word is a light and lamp that guides us. We are to see that the Word is ever needful, always available and it is inextinguishable. My prayer for all who are doing this study will let the Word guide us, grow us and guard us.

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff