Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Book Review - Primal by Mark Batterson

4 comments
 
This book was provided free of charge from the publisher for review. It is scheduled to be released on December 22nd, 2009.

All I can really open with is, "Wow!" I really do think this is the first book you should pick up for 2010. Especially if you are a resolution setting kind of person.

A short summary of the book: The author is moved by ancient catacombs he finds himself in on vacation. It Reminded him of the Christians of the past who were martyred for their faith. We have become too comfortable in America. It is time for a new Reformation that takes us back to the things that are "Primal," A Quest for the Lost Soul of Christianity.

Primal is also focused on a simple prayer of breaking our heart for the things that break God's heart. This is the second time I have heard this and been challenged to pray it. So of course I have been praying it. God has been moving in my life as I have read this book.

The focus of the book was loving God. Like the Scripture says with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength. Mark discusses practically how this can be done. After each section I let it all soak in. I meditated on these Scriptural truths and God really moved in each area. He moved me deeper in loving Him. My heart really did break in ways that I could not manufacture. God answered prayer and changed me. I am seeing a little differently and more like Him. I am thankful to Mark Batterson for his obedience in writing this book. If it wasn't for anything else it is a book that spoke deeply to me and has made me more like Jesus in new and fresh ways and for that I am praising God.

To get a copy of the book from the publisher go here.
To read Mark's blog go here.

Lastly I was so moved by this book that I think everyone should read it I am doing a giveaway of mine. So just leave a comment as to why you would like this book. I will have to get another one because it is a book that I would like to keep in my collection to reread over and over again.

4 comments:

jenmom said...

Oh I would so love to win this book! My friend Jenilee over at My Awake Journey is going to host a Bible study/book study by going through this book on her blog! She is starting it in January so I'd love to have my own copy!
Thank you for this opportunity to get my hands on it!!!
(BTW, was glad so see on FB this morning that your kiddos are feeling better!)

jodi said...

Hmmm...why I would want this book? Well, is it enough to say I love to read and I love to read books recommended by people I respect even more??? :)

Sounds like a great one!

Leah Adams said...

Sounds like a very interesting book. I will have to pick it up.

Leah

Alene said...

I would love to start 2010 with a Primal sort of obedience. God is stirring something new in me and your review let's me know this is a must read.

Thanks for sharing!

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff