Friday, April 8, 2011

Love Always Hopes, Love Always Trusts, Love Alway Protects

1 comments
 
I am so very thankful for the woman's group I am involved in. It is a precious little bit of Jesus to me. We are studying a book that covers the concepts of Biblical womanhood based on Titus 2. This past week was on loving our children. I must confess I had lost my joy in mothering. I would often get angry when things did not go the way I wanted them too. I would seethe when the kids would not conform to the way I wanted them to act. Then I was cold. I held them at a distance. I loved them but I let that anger which covered my deep hurt get in the way.

But God is the melter of hearts. He is the restorer of joy. He is the redeemer of life. He is the one that resurrects what seems like death to life. He is the miracle maker. He is the Savior. He is the lover of my soul. He loves me so much that He will not let me get away with this behavior. I was a pouty kid who needed some loving discipline. I praise Him for that.

You see we are in the middle of a trial of sorts, but yet again is it really a trial? It has been going on from the beginning of birthing two children. Two very opposite children who often resemble the sons in the story of the prodigal. One wants to be free and do whatever she pleases, the other wants to follow the rules, self-imposed or learned ones. Two very different approaches to life. This breeds conflict.

The Father however is a wonderful example of love. He trusts. He hopes. He protects. Do I do that? Or do I simply try to control my children? Don't get me wrong there is a difference with discipline and control. Children need loving discipline not legalistic control. Yet for a parent, loss of control can breed fear. Fear of the future, fear of what our children might turn out like, you name it fear can be present. Yet surrendering control to the Father gives peace and freedom. Trusting in faith as you instill in your children what is right and hoping for the future fruit it will produce. Even when none can be seen now.

What has been happening is my youngest has aspergers which is a form of autism. This makes her brain work very differently from her "normal" sister. Yet her sister is a typical first born rule follower who likes the world to be black and white. Can you imagine what an unpredictable sister does to her heart? She gets angry and seethes. She wants to control. She is a replica of her mother. I have not been a good example.

All the while our youngest is just free. She enjoys life. She does not really get it when people are annoyed by her or are tired of her talking endlessly about this or that. She does not pick up on social cues. She is rigid in her play, things must go her way, they must follow along exactly how the movie went. No room for exceptions. She wants to play the way she wants or she quits, walks away, is not concerned about others feelings. It is not mean spirited she just is not capable of understanding others feelings very well. She cares deeply for others but just doesn't understand expression well. She is learning.

When you have a mix like this sin gets in the way. Sin of righteousness, sin of entitlement, sin of worry. But God is gracious, He brings the sins to mind and we confess. The Holy Spirit has given us everything we need to move forward. He reminds us of God's word. So we move forward. Remembering love covers over a multitude of sins by extending grace. Love does always hope by believing God's promises. Love does always protect through proper discipline and by being a solid rock that our children can always run to in times of need. Never fearing shame. Being able to run freely into our arms loved not for what they do but for who they are. I am glad for this reminder and glad for great Christian fellowship.

1 comment:

Vilisi said...

Thank you for this encouraging post Angela. Parenting can be so challenging and we certainly need the Holy Spirit's guide and comfort. Blessings to you and your family. :)

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff