Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Tales of Parenting My ADHD Child

5 comments
 

Fathers are told not to exasperate their children. However, at times I feel like my children are the ones who exasperate me! But then I am quickly reminded that foolishness abounds in the heart of a child. It is something that is just there. It is something that needs training and instruction. Add that with a sinful nature and then a sprinkle of ADHD and you have lots of problems. Now in my instance I can also add a shake of OCD and a pinch of impulse control issues. What a delightfully difficult mixture to work with!

God does know what He is doing. He created this child. He made her fearfully and wonderfully. She is absolutely perfect in His eyes and was entrusted to a very selfish mother. I easily exasperate because I expect what I want done to be done immediately and without question. This may work for the “normal” child but it does not work so well for my little bundle of joy. I am learning how to correct her the way that makes real change—change of the heart.

On Sunday at our church children who are five and up sit with their parents in the main church service. To an ADHD child’s mind this can be torture. My selfishness is continually exposed because I don’t want to look bad as my child struggles. I continually have to confess this and ask for God’s grace. When I focus on Him and what He desires for this child I come back to training her in the way that works for her. It does not matter what that may look like to others around me.

Tips and tools I use as I struggle through are:

  • An occasional snack
  • Listening games
  • Discussing themes that I know she understands about the sermonCheck SpellingGiving her her fidget noiseless toy to hold and quietly play with
  • Remind her the purpose for church (to corporately worship God)
  • Praise her for her efforts of listening and sitting still
  • Removing her to an environment outside where we can listen with less pressure to sit still
  • Pay attention to my child’s cues (I know when she is struggling more or less by observation)

Those are just a few things. I know she desires to grow in this area so we work it out together. I am thankful for her and what she teaches me in this process. So instead of being exasperated I am thankful as long as I focus on the important things. We are both learning and are better off for it.

5 comments:

Christina said...

Out of seven kids I have 2 with ADHD and now my older son has a girlfriend with ADHD and just watching my kids grow and talking to my sons girlfriend I am still amazed by the obstacles they kids face. I don't know if I would have the strength. They are special kids. I always go to a church that has childrens church up till Middle or High school level. I just feel like you do, like it must be torture for them to sit through a service. I know they probably should learn to but it so much easier to let them downstairs. They seem to be happy and I want them to love going to church.

God's girl said...

Oh Christina! Praying for you. I know it is so hard. Glad to have someone in the trenches with me,
much love,
Angela

Andrea said...

As a mom of an ADHD son, I want to shout a "Thank you" for this post! My son is now 30, and I only wish I had understood ADHD more as he was growing up.

We think that his daughter may have it. Of course, it is hard to say right now, for she is only 2, but the signs are there.

Thank God that he lovingly teaches us so much about himself and life and love and everything through our children. Oh, how he loves us!!!

Many blessings to you, Angela!

Andrea

God's girl said...

Andrea,
Not sure if you saw this in your son or not but I started seeing signs early on in my child. Lifting a prayer for your grand daughter. I know it can be difficult but if we learn how to work with it then it makes it so much easier. I wish I knew more about it. Thanks so much for your comment. I think I am going to start writing up some about our journey down this road.
Much love,
Angela

Nesha said...

Out of 5 people that live in my house, 3 have ADD, though my oldest son does have the lack of impulse control. It is hard for me to watch my oldest son struggle and yet see his father and grandfather at their age struggle. I am so thankful that in this generation there are strategies in place to help my son and to help me understand. One piece of advice that has helped me as a mother to him is to be able to seperate the behavior from the child that I love so deeply. I agree that he is made to be useful in God's eyes for the future and just hope I can be the guide he needs to reach it.

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff