Monday, November 5, 2007

Marriage Monday-Submission is a Choice Not a Dirty Word

21 comments
 

I just love Marriage Monday! Chrysalis is now hosting this once a month. Go to her blog to check out more and to see what others are saying.

I have to do what? Those were my exact thoughts the first time I read Stormie Omartian's book "The Power of a Praying Wife." I remember it well. An older woman who took interest in us younger married women got us together for Bible study revolving around this book. This idea of submission was foreign to me. What about being the strong independent female? I did not need any man, let alone one that I would have to submit to. What was this nonsense?

The first chapter was incredible. It focused on my heart. Not changing my man but changing me. Are you kidding? Have you met my husband? I am the only proper one to train him, aren't I?

As you can see I got off on a hard start. But I stuck in there with this group (perhaps it was the peer pressure). Little by little God started to change my heart. It began to soften. It became pliable. God did start to change me. Little by little, bit by bit the hardness of heart and pride of self sufficiency chipped away.

Submission is like a dance. If you have ever seen a partner dance then you know there can only be one leader. If they both try to lead they step all over each other and they do not flow. Marriage is much like that. Ephesians 5 tells us to respect our husbands. We need to respect them enough to allow them to lead us in this dance of life. It is their God-given responsibility. They are the ones who are accountable to God for how they lead. Our job is to respect them. We too will be accountable to God for how we respected them. Our men need our support. They are in the hard, cold world every day all day long. They need to know when they come home that they can come to a safe place where they are loved and respected no matter what.

I used to play Holy Spirit to my husband. I thought it was my job to make sure he was doing all things right. Then one day someone told me that I was not my husband's Holy Spirit. I needed to release him to God. It is God's job to do the changing--not mine. I will never forget those words. When I actually followed through in this way, God did amazing things. My husband did start to change. I have to tell you as soon as I got out of the way, God moved in mighty ways.

I am happy to say it is a joy to submit to my man. It was not always that way though but now I know how to trust God. My man is a gift to me. A God-given gift. God only gives good gifts. So I trust God enough to trust the man he gave me. My sweet man always asks my opinion which is part of the dance. He also makes mistakes and wrong choices. But God uses those to grow us and move us and keep us paired perfectly in this dance of life. Somethings may need more training than others but I love every moment of it-the good and the bad. And what a parallel this is to our dance with God. I love the great mystery of it all.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its easy to write a post on submission from the general sense. It is much more difficult, however, to write it from a personal testimony standpoint.

You've done a great job being authentic here. I like how you show your own struggles. It hasn't always been easy for me, either.

Thanks for giving us a peek into the inner workings of a fellow struggler. Thanks!!

Lori said...

I have to do what? I love this line in your post. I thought this same thing when I read about submission. I always thought "I will submit when..." or "when my husband does..." I'll submit. That is not the instructions given to us in the Bible. I can't make my husband love me as Christ loved the church. I have to be loving, kind, sweet, a help-mate, and the list goes on and on, regardless if he is following what God instructs him to be like.

Kathy said...

LOL! I had the exact same reaction when I read "Power of a Praying Wife"--Chapter One. I'll never forget how my stomach seemed to turn over as the words "Lord, give my husband a new wife and let her be me" hit me with full force. Love You!

Susan said...

Hi Angela,

Great post! Thanks for stopping by today.

Hey, we have something in common, I thought I was my husband's "HS" for many years too!

Thank God we have the "HS" to do the work, and if we obey, He'll take care of the rest.

So nice to meet you!

Susan

Susan Skitt said...

Great post Ang. Yielding to God's way is always best.

Love ya sis,
Susan

Tammy said...

Oh, this was wonderful! I loved reading about your first initial honest feelings on this subject!
And you wrote this all so well! It's so true...marriage is so much like a dance!
Blessings!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the illustration of the dance. beautiful. when i finally let my man lead, i found that i could actually enjoy the dance! i wasn't worried about controlling everything all the time. i was free to TRUST. what a beautiful entry. thank you for sharing your heart.

Jana said...

Beautiful thoughts. Thanks for sharing your perspective.

LAUREN at Faith Fuel said...

Marriage is a marvelous mystery, for sure!

Living Beyond said...

"I use to play Holy Spirit to my husabnd" lol been there done that!!

Thank you for you post - it has actually challenged me to get out my "Power of a Praying Wife" book and get going on it again. BTW I love how Stormie deals with out hearts first. Such wisdom hey.

I love your blog header I'll be visiting again.

Anonymous said...

I read that book too, years ago..and i was also at the same place.."you want me to do what?" But I did try and it did work, and submission really is beneficial to us and not some ball and chain that the world portrays it to be. Submission to God first and the rest kind of flows! Love ya Princess..go on and dance!

Faith said...

I enjoyed reading this! How refreshing to read someone who is so honest about her feelings! Thanks and God bless you!
Faith

Susannah said...

Angela this was superb! I see about three quotes here that I'd love to post on my own blog. This spoke to me: Submission is like a dance. If you have ever seen a partner dance then you know there can only be one leader. If they both try to lead they step all over each other and they do not flow. Marriage is much like that. Ephesians 5 tells us to respect our husbands. We need to respect them enough to allow them to lead us in this dance of life.

And this: I used to play Holy Spirit to my husband. I thought it was my job to make sure he was doing all things right. Then one day someone told me that I was not my husband's Holy Spirit. I needed to release him to God. It is God's job to do the changing--not mine. I will never forget those words.

And this one too: I am happy to say it is a joy to submit to my man. It was not always that way though but now I know how to trust God. My man is a gift to me. A God-given gift. God only gives good gifts. So I trust God enough to trust the man he gave me. My sweet man always asks my opinion which is part of the dance.

Wow! Thanks for sharing, and for linking up at Marriage Monday today.

Hugs 'n prayers, e-Mom

tammi said...

I agree with Robin -- easy enough to write about submission in general, but personal testimony? Not so much! You shared it beautifully.

AbbyLane said...

good word...

submission is like a dance...i like that. :)

Teresa said...

this was a very good post it is awesome to see how women portray events in their life and how they relate to your own thanks

Anonymous said...

I really likes what you shared. I have not heard that before now (that I am not my husband's Holy Spirit) and it is very insightful. I know it is one of those comments that I will remember in the years to come.

"The Power of a Praying Wife" was one of the first books I read when God started dealing with me on submission. Another great one I read at that time was Elizabeth George's, "A Woman After God's Own Heart". I still pull it out from time to time to take a mini refresher course. *wink*

Connie Marie said...

Very good and freeing advice - about not being our husband's Holy Spirit. Thanks for sharing your learning.

Faith said...

Thanks for sharing your wise words. I'm still a newlywed and I have to admit, over the first year I kept thinking, "This is easy!" But I am realizing I have a lot to learn about what this looks like in real life! ;)
"The Power of a Praying Wife" is an excellent book. I've been going through that slowly over the past several months myself. I'm at the last chapter now and I think I'll go back to the beginning and pray through it again!

Wendell said...

"I used to play Holy Spirit to my husband. I thought it was my job to make sure he was doing all things right. Then one day someone told me that I was not my husband's Holy Spirit. I needed to release him to God. It is God's job to do the changing--not mine"

I never thought of it that way.... "playing Holy Spirit" but you are so right.
Thanks

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate this post. From your reaction to Stormie's book to playing the Holy Spirit! I too have found joy in submitting to my husband, which I have to say it so much easier for me since he has gotten into the Word himself.

Something funny: I was in a bible study about marriage being taught by our Pastors wife when she announced that the following week we'd be discussing the "S-word". I thought she was talking about sex. Turns out, she was talking about submission! LOL!!! :)

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff