Sunday, January 31, 2010

Marriage Monday - Everyday is Valentine's Day

15 comments
 

In all seriousness I think Valentine's Day is a wicked holiday that is used to raise expectations too high. If we are honest with ourselves we do really want a prince who will sweep us off our feet and come to our rescue, white horse and all. Cinderella ruined us for this. But she did not have to do much work. We were made with that hole in us that desires this, however, the place we get tripped up is we look to a man to fill this. This is not okay. Ladies, let's let our men off the hook here, okay?

The reason I say this is because no man can ever fill that hole. No man was ever meant too. The only way that hole can be filled is by giving that place to Jesus. He is the only one who can fill that empty space. He is the only one who can be that Savior. He is the only one who can be that Prince. He is the only one who can truly sweep us off our feet white horse and all! That is His to fill.

With all that said, I need to say that I am guilty a lot of the time by holding expectations that are too high for my husband to fill. Expectations that he is not meant to fill. I have a great man who loves me unconditionally. He loves me well, takes care of me, calms me, builds me up in God's word, speaks Scripture over me, and prays for me. There is no better thing than that. That is how we make everyday great. We love one another deeply in the mundane things in life. We spurn one another on toward the gospel of Jesus Christ. We let Jesus fill that hole that the other cannot and was not meant to fill. We walk it out this way and that is what love in action looks like. It is not a one day thing but an everyday thing.

To see what others are saying go to E-mom's blog here.

15 comments:

Deltra said...

Amen to that! Very well said, and absolutely true. A great reminder to believing women and a statement that needs to be heard and well received by nonbelievers. This is the issue with many women in our society. Thanks for this post.

Denise said...

Thanks for a lovely post.

A Stone Gatherer said...

I couldn't agree more! I don't need any "holiday" to let my man know how much he means to me! Well said!

Miriam Pauline said...

Great post about letting go of unreal expectations. Bless you.

Susan said...

How true, AMEN & AMEN!!!

I'm so grateful for all the daily ways we can romance and show love and respect for each other.

Blessings to you and your hubby♥

nice A said...

I for one don't celebrate Valentine's Day since I learned that it has pagan roots. Sorry for this strong opinion but of course, I do respect people who celebrate it and I do appreciate whatever my husband gives me on that day, be it a little thing. Just like Christmas, its meaning is reduced into materialism so I completely agree with you that expecting our spouse of something too high makes it wicked. I like your concluding statement: It is not a one day thing but an everyday thing.

Julie Arduini said...

Great post, thank you!

Jaime Kubik said...

SO TRUE! Loved this post! Amen, sister! Again I say it, Amen!

Mac an Rothaich said...

'We spurn one another on toward the gospel of Jesus Christ.' Amen and good point!

Shelley said...

I love how you both make everyday great! Hand to the plough loving each other daily. I also love how the Lord shows us that we are His beloved in the Song of Songs - He is our Lover who loves us in the purest sense - aaahhhhh

tonya said...

Great post! What a blessing it is to live out our love everyday.

Susannah said...

Hi Angela,

This was an honest post. I can feel your angst and I appreciate your willingness to let Jesus fill you in those places only He can reach.

If we are honest with ourselves we do really want a prince who will sweep us off our feet and come to our rescue, white horse and all. Cinderella ruined us for this.

...and SIN ruined what was supposed to be the deepest, most intimate union in every way.

Did you know your husband deeply wants to be your hero (on a white horse!) just as much as you want to be rescued by him? It sounds like you're both growing in the faith and skills to make your marriage a very happy one.

Thanks for joining us for Marriage Monday, today.

(((Hugs)))

e-Mom :~D

Tami said...

Great pic of you and your husband!

And yes, absolutely, no man can fill in our holes, but I praise God He has given you a man who helps you fill your holes in Christ.

sharon said...

Isn't it funny? We set expectations that if he did meet would make us run out of the house for who can live with perfection anyway?

Lovely post.

Christina said...

You sure put that well.

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff