Monday, February 13, 2012

Psalm 119 - Week 5

2 comments
 
So thankful for those of us persevering through! Study of God's word will be a blessing to you. Hang in there and keep up the diligence!

Spurgeon says about this section, "A sense of dependence and a consciousness of extreme need pervade this section, which is all made up of prayer and plea." I don't know about you but I am in continual extreme need it seems. Which is not a bad thing because it should draw you to God for dependence. That is when we personally experience Him most.


As we experience God more personally our faith is built up. Can you imagine the mighty King David, a man after God's own heart being needy like this? Well he was and if someone like him can be humbled enough to admit that need I think we would be good too as well.


Father, help us understand your word rightly, apply it to our lives, and grow in our relationship with you through it.

 He
 Teach me, O LORD, the way of your statutes; and I will keep it to the end.
We need our Lord to open our eyes and teach us His word. We cannot rightly understand it without HIM. He does this through the Holy Spirit that resides in us who believe.

Give me understanding, that I may keep your law and observe it with my whole heart.
Oh that we may understand His law rightly so we can keep it! May we observe it not with a divided heart but with our whole hearts. Desiring to please Him in all things.

Lead me in the path of your commandments, for I delight in it.
Oh that we may delight in His word!! Can you say this? If not pray this verse. God will move your heart to delight in His word. He will lead us in it. He hears and answers according to His will.

Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!
Oh how our hearts are wicked beyond reason. Oh how the depths of them are beyond what we even know! We must ask God to incline us to Him and His word not for what we get from it but for His glory!

Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things; and give me life in your ways.
There are so many things that are worthless that take up our time. Things we wast our time on, may we ask God to give us a desire to stop them. May we truly find true life in HIS ways alone. May we be more concerned about His glory than our own selfish desires and gain. We NEED Him to do this. We cannot do it on our own. We must lean and depend on HIM.

Confirm to your servant your promise, that you may be feared. 
Oh the fear of God. It is lost today. People just sin freely and think nothing of God like spitting in His face. When we grow in His word and believe it as truth more and more we begin to have a right fear of Him. It is right to see Him in His holiness and desire to be holy as He is. His word and the Spirit move our hearts to this.

Turn away the reproach that I dread, for your rules are good.
Persecution or not, God's rules are good and we must have faith in that. Even under mocking and trial. This is a plea for God to turn this away from us. It is dreadful.

Behold, I long for your precepts; in your righteousness give me life! Do we long for His precepts like this? Like we would long for other things? Oh Lord may it be so. This is life, living according to HIS word! May He grant us this ability!

2 comments:

Kate said...

Thank you...this is wonderful. I've been meditating on this for a week now. There's just such a stirring in my to be upright in all things. Sometimes I feel I can never attain this, but I will strive until the end. Love you dear friend...love your heart.

Anonymous said...

With the season of Lent upon us...I could not help but apply verse 37. I had been praying about what God wanted me to put aside during Lent in desire to focus more on him...and decided on Facebook. As much as I love social networking I just have found myself being engrossed in other people's lives and habitually checking it on my phone, computer, etc. Facebook in itself is a great tool, but it def was making it easy for me to look at worthless things.

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff